hack and slash type game with no story

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tronfan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Tronfan

Tronfan Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    I'm looking for a diablo-like/ hack and slash where I could just fight monsters in short sessions in a dungeon/arena and not worry about a story . I would prefer it to be free .

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hero siege is basically the definition of the game you're looking for. But is $3

Also Heroes of Loot. Which is $2

The only free one I can think of would be Dungeon Hunter 3. I'm pretty sure hats just a bunch of waves and arenas. Dungeon Hunter 4 has the story mode. Check all these games out

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Quadropus Rampage - free to play universal - You have to at least try this one. With (IMO) optional and fairly priced IAP. Skill upgrades carry over with each run but your weapon is fresh each time

SOL: Stone of Soul - free to play universal - KRPG. It does have a story and quest system but you could forget all about it other than to guide you. Very complex loot system similar to Diablo with all the affixes and different rarities

Dungeon Hunter 4 - freemium universal - Gameloft's take on the genre. Plays great but you might not like how to get around the IAP

Asterogue - 100% free - Robots. All taps and swipes but has a great loot system

Reaper: Tale of a Pale Swordsman - free to try universal - free to try till level 10 then you have to pay to unlock everything else. Side scroller but gets as hectic as bullet hell games.

Hero Siege - $2.99 universal - Current top pick for this request. All the inspiration from Diablo is here with different classes, skills, and a relic system that serves as temporary items per run. Free on Android! The dev is very active on TA's forum so check out the main thread for it and stick around.

Pocket RPG - $4.99 universal - fits the bill perfectly except for that price tag.

Dungeon Hunter 2 - $6.99 - because... not 3 and 4.

Bit Dungeon - $0.99 universal - Tap controls. Best played on an iPad but works on an iPhone. Flash version of the game for browsers is free to play

If you don't mind being online to play:

Eternity Warriors 3 - Very similar to Dungeon Hunters

Tower of Ascension - created by Gravity, the Korean company that created Ragnarok Online. Has a heavy loot system and you can party in dungeons. Fantastic skill trees IMO.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How did I forget Quadropus?! I'm terrible at this

AND Pocket RPG? Gosh I'm awful

5. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Wtf? He said hack n slash " with no story" - almost all those have some story.

Anyway, If you want arena fighters with minimal story, try dungeon hunter 3. I don't know too many other games that fit into your category, because they either have a story or are not arena based.

6. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #6 Echoen, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Or you could just skip all of the story dialogs in those games I listed and stick to the battles like I do. It'll work the way he wants it. If you're worried about the story quests, objectives are marked clearly in good games anyway even after skipping blocks of text. Reaper also has a Dark Harvest mode if you choose to pay for it which completely removes the story aspect.

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Great list Echoen!

8. Try this week's archangel, it is like a mage diablo game with little story.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Agreed! I'm into this one right now and liking it!

10. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Dark Avenger by Gamevil is free and has little to no story from what I could tell.

11. Tronfan

Jul 20, 2013
    Story mode is fine as long as you can also just play in a battle mode with waves of enemies . I just already have enough story based RPGs.

12. Tronfan

Jul 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to be trying most of those , especially quadropus and SOL . Can you post the link to asterouge ? I can't find it .

13. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA