must attend conferences

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Amelia, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    HI there!

Just wondering what conferences you consider "must attend" status for developers to get their names out there, and to network with other devs.

Thanks

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

3. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
  4. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

*Slaps self* Yes I missed a big one! This combined with the two I listed are about all you need to worry about... It figures that they're all on the west coast, about as far away as they could get from me :p

5. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thanks for the tips!

6. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    WWDC, GDC-San Francisco and 360iDev are all on my must-attend list as well. And 360iDev is also very affordable to boot.

Another thing to keep an eye out for - Apple gives FREE one-day iPhone tech talks throughout the country. As a registered dev, I think you get an email notification to sign up. When you do, sign up right away, because they fill up almost immediately. But those are free, hosted by Apple, and generally not too far away, since they're all over the country. Also a must-go.

7. qub1t

qub1t New Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Hi guys. I'm currently developing a game with a friend, and I'm very new to the indie game dev scene :) How important do you think it is to go to these conferences and what sort of stuff do you want to get done at them (networking? partnering? just meeting people and letting people know about your game?) FYI I'm a junior at a college in the bay area so I'm close to most of these events.

8. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not actually making enough money off iPhone games to afford these conferences. Might be worth it anyway, but why can't they just cost maybe $120 instead of $500-$2000? :)

9. I think I'll attend the 360iDev this year. I really wanted to go last year but it wasn't possible.

10. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Conferences are important, IMHO. Not only do they provide you with insight, but you also have the opportunity for networking and partnering (as you stated).

While I was in the PocketPC (Windows Mobile) industry, I had the opportunity to let people know about my work and I met many reviewers from around the world, and I also had the opportunity to meet some very prominent people (editors) from large magazines.

I was also a speaker at a couple conventions. With these opportunities, I was able to secure an exhibit table to show off about a dozen indie games- most of them I was not associated with, they just happened to be fellow developers that I respected.

Traffic to our table was consistent and among the busiest.

The iPhone/iPod industry is vastly different though. However, I think that networking and meeting the right people still has its benefits.

I will be at a convention in San Francisco on January 20th- I happen to be one of the 3 Panelists that will be speaking. My topics will mostly pertain to indies. If anyone happens to be in the area or wants to attend, feel free. Sorry I do not remember the details for the conference off the top of my head, but I can post them later this eveningif someone is interested.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We actually have some surprises in store for people who attend 360iDev this year... Well, not really surprises I suppose if you follow 360iDev but we haven't officially announced anything YET!

12. I decided not to delay. I am all registered for 360iDev now!

Just have to get my hotel and airfare taken care of now.

13. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    i think psionic is looking at attending the 360iDev. just have to figure out accomodations/time off from contract work. not making enough yet from indie stuff to get away from the day job....

14. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

I'm planning to be at 360iDev this year too, should be great fun.

15. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    The main world wide ones are:

GDC (San Francisco),
    GDC Europe,
    Game Connection Lyon (mainly for console stuff)
    Game Connection San Francisco (again mainly console stuff).

In the UK we also attend:
    Develop in Brighton
    Develop in Liverpool
    Game Horizon Conference

In my experience conferences are vital. You only get work 1/3 of the times you go to them, but that 1/3 in my experience has lead to long term clients that tend to also be a decent bunch in the sence that there nice to work with, you can grab a drink with them and be entierly transparent in terms of the process, whats ahead/behind etc.

So I'd strongly reccomend going to as many as possible :). Also if you join IGDA (about £50 a year) then you can get 10% to 30% off the entrance costs...

16. Flight and hotel all booked now! Yay!

17. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Funny you should mention. I've been thinking that someone (Touch Arcade? Hint, hint) should set up an iPhone developer conference here in the Chicago area. There seem to be a number of iPhone developers in the midwest, so it would be an excellent meet and greet for everyone. Plus, if it grew too fast we could hold it in the newly expanded, Olympic-sized McCormick Center. E3 eat your heart out! ;)

18. ThunderGameWorks

ThunderGameWorks Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    We be there, yo.