Death and Despair: First iPhone developer to sleep under bridge!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by obiwahn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. obiwahn

obiwahn Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    #1 obiwahn, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    Hi there,

thats me, that developer. It's sad but true. So far my game sold like crap.
    Actually, there is some crap in the store that sells even better than my game, but it has some boobs on the icon (Maybe that would be an idea? Or maybe i should call it "Sexy Phone Defender"?).

Could you tell me what is wrong with my game? Is it the ugly icon? The childish game graphics? Useless screenshots? The stupid descrition that tries to sound like beeing from a big company?

The game is: Defend your Phone.

I appreciate any critics. Please, right in the face.

Thank you!

2. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    "Help us obiwahn"... sorry couldn't resist :)

I haven't heard of your game before but I just went to have a look. I think the name is fine, the icon is fine, and the graphics are fine. The problem is I can't tell what kind of game it is, or what the gameplay is like from the screens.. I'm usually kind of lazy and don't always read the app descriptions, and if I can't tell what kind of game it is by the pictures, I usually keep on moving. You can kind of tell what's going on but it's really, really tough to understand from pics and description- whether or not the game is even fun.

It looks original, it looks cool, but it's hard to tell what you're supposed to do and whether it's fun. That's my take at least.

3. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Yep, its hard to tell what kind of game to expect. Maybe consider doing a lite version.

4. obiwahn

Jun 6, 2009
    Thank you for the critics!

The game is based in the Defend your Castle genre (e.g. StickWars). So you simply try to push the enemies off the screen.

What about reordered Screenshots like:

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot 3.jpg

Screenshot 1.jpg

Is that more understandeable?

5. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I think having the above sequence looks a bit more logical, but when you get to the last screen it still doesn't clearly convey the gameplay. To me it looked like maybe a TBS game. To sum up my own experience/problem with it: the screens/description to not clearly & quickly convey the genre or gameplay mechanics, which makes it basically an unknown. I don't have enough information to understand if this game would be enjoyable to me, so I'm probably not going to risk the purchase. I don't know if the game lends itself to having screen shots that could more accurately convey the mechanics... so maybe editing the description a bit so people know what they're looking at/getting into would help.

6. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    you could also try to give out promo codes, so bloggers write about the game.

7. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Yeah the screenshots are the biggest problem. Also you need to advertise. I havent heard of your game before now.
    If you're sleeping under bridges, I think it's time to get a job eh? I'm sure companies are hiring programmers. Or maybe join forces with another company?

8. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posting a game video would resolve the gameplay question. More screenshots of the actual gameplay would be benefitial.

9. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    That's true and it would benefit those of us who frequent TA or other forums. For average-Joe appstore consumers however, I doubt they'd ever see it. That's why I suggested if screen shots that demonstrate gameplay better are not really available within this type of game, the dev may be better served by editing the description. But, I think ideally he should do both and also perhaps conduct a few contests or promotions, use twitter or facebook or something to spread word of mouth.

10. Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Some screenies and a vid would fix your problem.

11. obiwahn

Jun 6, 2009
    Thank you all for the suggestions!

I will take some new and hopefulley better screenshots. I'll post them later.

Some days ago I made a vid for a press release, but honestly I think it is a bit boring. So I wasn't sure to post it. Maybe I have to shoot a better onen.

However, here is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-umrH20SC0

What do you think?

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  13. xdanleex

xdanleex Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Procrastinating
    LA,CA
    make a simple game. such as like sheep defender, its really simple yet can sell for so much. all you need is to advertise

14. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I think the vid looks great, not boring at all. I'm going to pick this up :)

15. obiwahn

Jun 6, 2009
    Double Post

16. AddictArts

AddictArts Active Member

Nov 17, 2009
    What sterred me away was not being able to understand what the game is through screenshots and description. The screenshots are busy and have alot either not happening, or happening, I can't tell. I really can't see what in the game play would apeal to me, so I passed. Another thing is that it looked maybe a little like a Storm8 game, so if you like that then good, but I personally don't.

17. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    "but honestly I think it is a bit boring"

The biggest problem: You don't believe in your game. So why should others.
    Make something, of what you think is a BOMB... the let this beast out and fire all you got.

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Technically he said he thought the vid of the game was boring, not the game itself.

19. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Doesn't make any difference, since it's just the video content which makes a video good or boring. Not the frame, the buttons, you name it :)
    So, if you have a fantastic game you just need to press record and that's it.
    No extra special effects, super cuts etc needed...

20. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    What are you talking about? If a video for the game is boring, no matter how good it is, it'll fail.

It's a wonderful thing called "Advertisement".

I actually like the vid tho, and am seriously considering picking it up.