App Store: setting a future launch date - problems with visability?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by artcue, Oct 1, 2013.

1. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    I read, that by setting a future launch date for an app (after the app was approved by Apple) Apple put the App live on the day they asked,
    but backdated it to the date it was approved, so it appeared 10 pages down on the new release list.

Had anybody had a similar experience? That Apple backdated the App to the day it was approved (which is quite bad for visability in the App Store)?

Thank you for letting us know!

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    This used to be a problem a few years ago but not now. You can set a future date and it be classed as a new release from the day you had set.

3. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    Thank you so much for your swift reply! That`s a relief :) Cheers!

4. batgirl717111

batgirl717111 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    are you sure? i want to believe! but i've always considered it a very risky move... was it announced somewhere that this policy changed?

5. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

ThreeCubes is definitely right... haven't had an issue as long as you set a date and just let everything happen on its own!

The only problems I'm aware of that may happen is if you try to manually release the game before, or near the date that you've set... so as long as you set the release date and just let iTunes do its thing, you'll be good to go ;)