Carmack comments on the new psp

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BreakerofNations, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BreakerofNations

Jan 31, 2011
  2. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    so you don't consider MGS, Resistance, uncharted, COD and all the other great games that have been currently announced (not to mention the others that will be announced before release) software to back this up?

3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    uncharted is going to be the shit

4. BreakerofNations

Jan 31, 2011
    You people are actually excited about a sony product after their abmyssal failure with the psp, umd, marketing, that went along with it as well as the less than stellar performance of the ps3 and move? They will never get portable gaming esp since it will be hacked and no one will want to make games for it like for psp. And esp since they rely on other companies making gMes dor it and every exclusive they make portable they just port to the ps2 (now it will be ps3) anyway. Plus graphics mean very little, nintendo and apple indy devs know how to make fun engaging games with some imagination. Id rather play back to the future On my ipad or mario on the original ds or even gba than some stupid sci fi gore fest that sony makes.

5. BreakerofNations

Jan 31, 2011
    Sony is probably the worst and most dishonest company ever. They lie about their future products to undercut competition and everything they release is eier stupidly made and too expensive for the time or just overpriced (like thsir laptops that xost as much as maxbook pros).

6. Epic Citadel demo on NGP and iPhone 4:

I wish the video was higher-quality, but the new snow effects look impressive.

7. frendil

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    Did you ever actually play a PSP or were you too busy creaming on your DS? There were some brilliant games and most people don't consider 60 million units sold an abmyssal:)D) failure.

8. frendil

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    Yea...:rolleyes: Even with the high price of the PS3 Sony were losing money with each unit sold, simply because of the tech installed inside it. Sure, the NGP will probably cost a fair amount but that is a reflection of its power, not sony's greed (who will again be losing money).

And i have a macbook so I'm not biased or a Sony fanboy, but are you really trying to say any other computer company (Sony) are selling their computers expensive for what they offer relative to apple? C'mon, really?

9. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    NGP is very interesting. I don't care for it, and I don't see it being successful, and (mostly) like many I feel like Sony hasn't learned a thing. They have had a really messy experience with the entire mobile market. I would never consider the current PSP a "failure" but it is a distant follower behind the market leader, and it doesn't bode well for their legacy with their next "X Years' Plan"

But a good point has been made.. "what else could Sony have done?" This is their style, it is what they know. They are an old stubborn company, and rather than adapt to the marketplace they've always tried to force it to shift to their thinking. Nintendo used to be this way, but many years now they've operated with this "disruptive" philosophy which has been serving the general mobile sector (Apple, Google, etc) very well.

NGP is technically a marvel and I am sure it will be supported with some excellent software. It does seem very short-sighted by Sony (especially in lieu of how much this setup will cost!) and sort of a backstep from where I would have expected them to move following the PSPgo (smaller and more portable, download-only)

I think the main point is, Nintendo and Sony really are dinosaurs in this arena. Sony looks worse since they've always had their lunch eaten by Nintendo in the portable scene, but now both of them are facing a much-less-certain future as the more (properly) convergent devices are now finally coming into their own (read: truly portable, with a phone built-in). Nintendo wisely sticks to presenting their nextgen portable as a dedicated gimmicky toy, Sony maintains that their device is for mature enthusiasts. It's too early to call this fight, time will have to tell.

10. frendil

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    I think though you are underestimating the market for a true, hardcore portable gaming unit. The PSP tried to take that niche and to a degree did, but the lack of a second analogue stick really ever stopped the PSP from being able to effectively play many games, such as FPS'. No portable system could really play them until the NGS and this is a major selling factor and should allow it ti fill that hardcore niche. I'm not saying they will oversell the 3GS, but I believe the NGS will to some degree revolutionize the portable market, though a likely high price will ultimately affect this.

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Am I underestimating it? I don't claim to be the know-it-all, but I do exhaustively watch both the trends and the history. I think there is room for a "true hardcore gaming unit," but I am still doubting that Sony is the proper company to deliver it in a way that makes sense. Note that I am not a Sony-basher, I do want them to succeed, but they have been making some terribly costly missteps in recent years and this whole production seems reactionary and "stick our heads in the sand" to me in the longer term.

I do think the system will do well enough in Japan, but I don't see it having a huge life over here especially after the novelty wears off. Also, consider when the true "next gen" mobile devices hit (those with phones attached) and the rate at which people are already gobbling up such things - developers will want to be where the hardware install base is.

The big issue is software, and that's the fuzzy one for me. Already so many traditional devs are shaky about supporting the new mobiles with higher-quality software, even though the tech is very competent. If Sony and Nintendo are able to keep developers in their thrall (and, most importantly, selling their software at what are now considered "premium prices") then N and Sony will have a few more years to continue to draw out their battle on the mobile scene. If the support starts moving over greatly to the new mobile devices, then that will change everything.

All things considered, it's very difficult to predict the scenario so early, but a shakeup is indeed imminent.

12. frendil

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    Whether or not it proves to be true, I don't think sony are naively sticking to their trend but are trying are bridge the gap between portable and console gaming, much like the way laptops are to desktops, as opposed to selling an extremely mobile device with a built in phone. They aren't going for the jack-of-all-trades device like the iphone but a true, portable gaming device. Whether it works or not that's is what I think they are doing.

13. BreakerofNations

Jan 31, 2011
    It wont be a true mobile hardcore device. Like the psp had summbed down or short versions of ps2 games the same will hold true for it when compared to ps3 and later ps4 games. No dev is going to spend years making a game for it. Portable devices arent consoles or meant to play as such, the experience will always be better and bigger on a hge plasma screen than a tiny pocket-sized systems. Portable gaming has until the idevices been about younger kids or teenagers playing pokemon or kirby. Look at the ds software sales of say pokemon to any psp game. Hardcore gamerswont touch it, they will continue sitting in front f their huge home setups. Remember when any good psp game was announced on forums how they would always want it to be ported to the ps2? And how lrokstar and all those devs listened? Its not cause it had one analog joystick or lacked the power of a ps2 its just hardcore gamers dont play portables.

Anyway id rather save the graphical marvels for the huge tvs or mo mitor anyway (maybe the ipad as well). And you wont be able to enjoy movies on the psp either. The ipad in my esperience is the minimum screen ize to really see an engaging movie or become tuned into it.

14. steveios

steveios Active Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I find this arguement rather amusing. Sony and Nintendo have been around for years. Both companies have made mistakes , learned from them and continue to make money. If you think iphone/ipod is suddenly going to take over the handheld market your mistaken. I understand you love your device , but the comments here are delusional. Sony and Nintendo have been around forever and have a secure fanbase. The psp and DS are both successful , only the pspGo was a huge fail. I hope you guys dont have your hopes set up high because while ipod/iphone will sell because of the cheap price point of thier games , thats the same reason that 3DS and PSP2 will continue to sell and make money.

15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Hardware wise it seems very cutting edge and I don't see smartphones matching it for at least 4 years or more mainly due to their smaller batterys more than any other reason. I've also seen some reports it 's estimated at about 210 million polygons a second which is very close to the PS3 and probably completely ridiculous for a handheld but still very cool.

Definitely want although I'll be first to admit Sony are very hard to like as a company lately.

16. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    They said they'd be making a profit this time around, which given the components and specs involved, the only thing that will really be a loss for them is the R&D involved, but at least they won't be making any per unit losses.

Sony computers are pretty damn bad, but they're handled by an entirely different division. Sony's such a big company that you can't necessarily make any comparisons or judgements between divisions. Vaios are horribly overpriced, the PS3 at launch was an incredibly good deal for what it was capable of (particularly if you got it as a Linux box).

Sony did learn. They learned that going for optical media on a portable was a bad idea, and that using a single analog stick was horrible. They also went a step further and made sure that the NGP is capable of the same controls as the SIXAXIS, covering R2/L2 with the back touch panel, tilt controls and dual analog, rather than just covering the dual analog and not including tilt controls. Adding in a proper touch screen also shows they're forward thinking and willing to include a feature that can logically be included with no drawbacks. For this generation it's actually looking like Nintendo didn't learn from Sony's mistakes - the 3DS only has a single analog control, is expensive compared to what people are used to, is trying to compete with its own massive installed userbase and it has crap battery life. The GBA didn't do nearly as well as the GB(C), PS3 didn't do nearly as well as the PS2, and I doubt the 3DS will do nearly as well as the DS(i).

Download only isn't as good as download and in store purchase. Given the types of games that'll be ported, we're looking at some triple A type titles that could be taking up 20GB or so - that can't be handled by downloads. It'll also give the NGP something that other handhelds can't offer. Going away from optical media is the main thing here. Also, trying to go small isn't going to work that well - it's hard to get something that's usable and comfortable that's smaller than the iPod touch, you could go down to 2.8", but that's really stretching it, and who would be interested in a Sony with a 2.8"-3.2" screen? If we're looking at a personal media device, having it sit in there with Archos 5 series makes a good deal of sense, and the size allows it to be quite comfortable to use. The iPod touch is bordering on hand cramping, so going a bit bigger is a logical step.

It might not go into the on the go portable market, but there's certainly an appeal for a device like that for people who don't have an HDTV, or who do but need to share it with other people.

It does look to be something a bit smaller than the iPad, but more in that category of device. It's small enough to fit in some pockets, maybe not pants but certainly an inside jacket pocket, which makes it a bit more appealing than the iPad there. The resolution also makes a bit more sense. I always figured the iPad should have gone with the 960x640 resolution instead of XGA - which is a bit small for proper web browsing but has some scaling issues with iOS software. 960x544 on the NGP isn't suitable for desktop web browsing, but it works for movies and doesn't waste any pixels for mobile browsing.

17. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #17 Jenohart, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Being on a holiday overseas and having spent the last few days away from the internet, this is the first I've heard of an official announcement to the successor of the PSP.

Really my thoughts about it are summed up as this;

Its a PSP with two analogue sticks.
    I'll buy ten.

As much as I love my iPod Touch for its features and small size, I really do prefer the PSP as a portable gaming console. We all know the iDevice is capable of great things (gameloft, Infinity Blade, other high budget titles), yet I still prefer the PSP because it is simply has better (though fewer) games. My main experience with that claim was with MGS: Portable Ops and most recently the best roguelike I've ever played (ZHP). Additionally, a PSP running custom firmware is probably the best portable emulator out there short of a Laptop. There really isn't any game I've played on the iPhone that can't be topped by the PSP, aside from casual games and games requiring two analogue sticks, which is another reason why I'm looking forward to this new PSP.

Sony really screwed up not putting two analogue nubs on the PSP because it really hampered what the PSP could do. Now that we have a PSP that does have two methods of analogue input, it's easy to see why John Carmack would be excited about it. I personally would prefer analogue sticks over swipe controls, tilt control or virtual sticks any day.

I still love my iDevice for being so small and versatile, but it wont be dominating the handheld gaming market, especially with the 3DS and its MGS3. With the 3DS capable of games for both casual gamers (most regular DS games) and hardcore games (MGS3, OoT, potentially a portable Assassin's Creed game that isn't terrible) (yes I hated Chronicles and Discovery), Sony needs to market this new PSP better than the old one if they want it to be successful.

18. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Hardcore gamers don't play portables?

Rubbish. I travel 28 days a month and my xbox360, and PS3 don't travel well. If you look up hardcore gamer you'll find a picture of me. (unfortunately) I have, and play on, a PSP 3000 for monster hunter mostly, a PSP go, for other games, a DSi XL mostly collecting dust since all the software is Barbie's fashion show, or Mary-Kate & Ashley ride the Pink Pony. My iPad is in almost constant use when I'm off duty either playing casual games or visiting teh internets. When I'm out of my tractor the iPad is inconvenient for fitting in the pocket so the iPod touch 4g gets used. None of these is a 'convergent device' with 3G.

Comparing the ds and PSP is an apples to oranges mistake. One is a toy targeted at children and young adults with fond memories of Italian plumbers, the other is a portable video game device. Sony has certainly made some whopper mistakes in marketing and their arrogant attitude toward 3rd party developer but that is changing. Example the recent surge in PS3 popularity and great exclusives. Even their commercials no longer suck. N will always dominate it's segment of the market because they have no competition in the handheld toy biz.

The NGP excites me because it addresses the biggest shortcomings of all current portable devices... Console quality controls and real connectivity. The huge money Apple is raking in shows what innovative software on quality connected hardware does. People cry about the app approval process of iTunes but compared to the Sony/nintendo/MS lockdown of consoles it is a wide open conduit for small studios to pour out talent and genius to the people. Sure that means lots of crap flows out too. That's the tradeoff.

19. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    Okay we must admit the NGP is a beastly gaming console that currently has no competition with the power it has inside. BUT the thing Sony does is they''ll trying to bring closer the gap between console gaming and portable gaming by releasing ports of well known franchises on the console. The current philosophy between these 2 different type of gaming is that console gaming are for hardcore game that require flawless complicated control and portable gaming is mainly casual gaming simple games with simple controls that you can pull out while in line at the bank. The iPhone fits perfectly to that category, with a touchscreen and no preset buttons developers have limitless control possibilities.

This is why Angry Birds and Cut The Rope are number one on the App Store. The NGP should be considered a portable console because you won't be pulling it out while you're riding the bus or in the mall, but rather when you're at home or a friend's house or in school. The NGP also looks big and chunky so i guess you'll need a bag to carry it instead of putting it in your pocket. My point is that the NGP will better suit the hardcore gamers and the iPhone will suit the casual gamers and they both can co-exist while the sexually confused 3DS destroy children's retinas and crash and burn in sales

THE END :)