Clever ideas for marketing a skiing game ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nicolasgb, Feb 11, 2012.

1. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Hey everyone!

Can you help me think of clever, outside the box actions I could put in place to market a skiiing game?
    I'm making one for iOS with the company I started up last month (woop woop!). It will come out sometime early March.

Things I've thought of so far :
    - Funny video trailer mixing game footage and footage of actual people playing the game, dressed in ski outfits
    - Link up with skiing magazines
    - Post on ski forums
    - Show the game to a ski champion (got a contact thru a friend)
    - Usual twitter, facebook fanpage, blogposts, PR, etc.

Credits to this thread for inspiration ;-)

2. Secret Base

Secret Base Member

Feb 2, 2012
    1st thing that comes to mind - instead of just actual people in ski outfit, have them look like they're actually skiing (you know, with a mounted cam focusing on the face) with the speed and excited expression while playing. What do you think?

3. GameViewPoint

GameViewPoint Active Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I had a similar idea to the last guy, but for me it would be where they are dressed head to toe in skiing outfit (with skiis on) that makes it work, so you could have someone in a shopping mall, zoo, train station etc with ski stuff on, the other extension to that is people who look normally dressed and are playing your game but when the camera pans down you see they have skii's on.

4. nicolasgb

Feb 4, 2012
    Paris, France
    THanks for the suggestions guys ! What I had in mind for the trailer is footage of people missing their subway stop in various cities of the world (Paris NYC Shanghai) because they're so addicted to the game (happens to me all the time with iOS games...), and others laughing & swaying left and right as the game is tilt-controled. All of them in ski outfits :)

5. nicolasgb

Feb 4, 2012
    Paris, France
    Hahaha that's a brilliant idea! Should have thought about it since just last week I made a funny video for a friend's wedding where I'm wearing a suit, only to then discover football shorts below... (and no, I'm not showing the video :D)

6. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    How about you partner with a ski resort that for some branding exchange would be willing to promote this ski game to their members?

7. GameViewPoint

GameViewPoint Active Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Not just ski resort but also maybe any ski equipment brand.