Is Real Racing so realistic that it would turn off arcade fans?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by XciteMe83, Aug 28, 2009.

1. XciteMe83

XciteMe83 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Hey guys... By the way can I just say THANK YOU to everybody who urged me to get Monkey Island? I downloaded it yesterday night and I LOVE IT. Really great, funny game. ;)

I just wanted to know, Real Racing has gotten amazing reviews and I know it's more of a sim than an arcade type... If anybody remembers an Xbox game called RalliSport Challenge, is it close to that type of game??? Cuz I loved that game, it was sim but still very fun.

Would you say Real Racing is still fun and approachable to more casual racing fans who prefer the Ridge Racers, Need for Speeds and other such games???

Thanks...

2. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    man i still havent gotten around to getting that game :)

been too busy fooling around with emulators

3. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm not a huge sim fan, aside from having played Gran Turismo 1-2 when I was younger, and I found real racing to be nothing short of amazing. It's not my favorite game on the device, but it is the BEST. I love it! I'm almost inclined to say, that it's my favorite racing game of all time. The steering and control feels more like F1 or cart racing. And the most important design element......it's really fricken fun.

4. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1 :)

5. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    +2, it's not that difficult actually. Funny thing is as you get faster cars, the easier it is. If you want a pure arcade racer get NFSU. It's fun as well and I guess they appeal to different people. Still, if you like racers, get Real Racing.

6. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    If I were you, I'd wait for nfs Shift to come out...
    I'd need more options, @least one more to help me decide :rolleyes:

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Real Racing is a superb game and is worth every cent, especially after the last update which added 12 more cars to the game. The reason why it is so highly-rated is because it has amazing graphics, the content is huge, and the controls are almost flawless. There is also Wifi-Multiplayer and Online Leagues to keep you playing over and over again. What I particularly enjoy about this game is that it actually requires skill for you complete the game, so you are able to be competitive with your friends.

8. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

The faster cars tend to handle differently, not necessarily better. For example the muscle cars tend to oversteer quite a bit whilst the exotics are much better balanced. However, what you'll find is the faster cars have way better acceleration so are maybe a little more forgiving of slight errors.

To answer you question, there are options in the game to adjust how hard the AI will be and also a brake assist option (will help you slow down for corners) if you like. Using these options anyone could enjoy the game.

But the real enjoyment would only be felt when you can nail great laps, fast times and beat the AI on top settings. To do those, you need some understanding of racing principles like the racing line and slow in fast out. Then you'd need to turn of the brake assist, and learn the tracks/cars. Once you've done that you could compete better in leagues, get some decent lap times and play on the harder difficulty settings, which is much more fun, challenging and rewarding.

9. Geeman

Geeman Member

Aug 25, 2009
    #9 Geeman, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Totally offtopic but,

Oh man, I just got my Iphone and I'm amazed by some of the games that are available - I never figured the Iphone was such an awesome gaming machine.

This is one of those games I must buy. Although I think the price is a tad disturbing (not meaning it is too high, but saying that you would buy more easily when it was priced 6.99 dollars for instance)

p.s. maybe funny to know & I don't know if there's a thread for it (haven't used search yet), but just curious what people's first games were (of course this differs when you just stepped into the Iphone legacy or when you were part of it from the beginning, but nonetheless :)) - As stated I just got my Iphone 3 GS and I have purchased Flight Control as my first game, followed by F.A.S.T. & Hero Of Sparta.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Peggle & Edge. Still two of the best games evaaaaaaar... on iPhone.

11. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    (while the thread is already at the top) who keeps bumping this thread? Let it die jeez lol

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...why should it die? We're having a discussion in here.

13. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I'd say the assist options definitely help with anyone enjoying the game. You can make the other cars as aggressive (or not) as you want, and with almost full auto-brake all you have to worry about is the steering. Then you can slowly ramp up the options as your skill improves. Really, you're unlikely to ever truly beat this game as you can always try things on a harder setting.

And yeah, the price seems high, but it's totally worth it. There isn't another racing game on the store that's even close to this one.

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I dunno, NFS was pretty damn good.

15. Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Slaving peon.
    Not here; not there; not anywhere!
    Actually, I'd call those basic principles of any driving 101. ;)

Finally got Real Racing a little while ago and it is indeed plenty of fun. Definitely worth ten bucks. I definitely got my money's worth out of this game, and then some. I've played far worse racers on other gaming devices with four/five times the cost.

16. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Yeah, this does remind me a lot of the great console racers. I'm not sure how, but there's this undeniable feeling of Gran Turismo in it for me - just without the overdone art-sy design elements. ;) It's not since Gran Turismo and the old Grand Prix Legends that I've felt that joy of sliding around the corners ..it's that little bit of drift that makes all the difference. :)

17. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Man i'd love to get real racing but 10 dollars for an iphone game is ridiculous.

18. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

No, $10 is actually very fair considering what you get. In fact if this was on PSP, it'd sell for $20 at least.

Think of it this way, I got the game day 1 (which was about 2 months ago) and still play it regularly. The online competition (both leagues and fastest lap leaderboards) offer limitless replayability.

19. TKO

TKO Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I'd say it was ridiculous if it wasn't an A+ quality title, which it is. It's totally worth the money. One of my iPhone owning friends also got it, coz he's a big Gran Turismo fan, and he hasn't regretted the $10.00 outlay one bit. ..I never got a PSP coz I would have been paying five times that price at least for games. Now that is ridiculous. And on the iPhone we get companies like Konami charging the same price for a crappy Mario Kart clone, Namco charging the same price for a buggy/slow Katamari port, and a similar price for Pac Man (!)

Believe me, we're getting overcharged for a lot of second rate stuff on the iPhone, but this isn't one of those titles. Definitely worth the asking price.

20. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    #20 Pug4Death, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    I'm accustomed to arcades- I've been that way forever, and I've grown a strong hate for sim racers, and this, no matter how hard I try, I can't get into; it isn't that realistic, it just feels incomplete. NFS has the Nitro, the licensed cars, the slick interface- It's just a hell of a lot funner.