iPhone Whack-O-Wrestling

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BazookaTime, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Whack-O-Wrestling is coming along nicely, so I thought I would start showing it off a little.

Currently there are over 60 original characters in the game and over 30 developer donated characters. The developer donated characters will be free in game and will high light that studios work.

The gameplay is a mix of pool and pinball and influenced by one of my favorite games, Bumper Stars.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s568/BazookaTime/titleScreenBGcopy_zpsef05093b.png

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Very cool! Will the various characters have any unique attributes/abilities or are they simply window dressing?

3. BazookaTime

Right now they all perform the same way but I am experimenting with a level up system and a tier system that would give characters better abilities and multipliers.

Actually I guess there are minor differences in play. Each characters was hand drawn and has a different shape, so there is some striking/bouncing differences that are unique to each character.

If you have thoughts on a preference, level up, special abilities feel free to list them. I will be showing off the characters in the coming days and running a contest to help me name them.

Just to note, the game will release as free and most of the characters will be unlocakable via in game earned coins. I am going to release a few themed packs, wrestlers and rings as iap so that I can try to make some money. The iap characters will offer no special skills over the best players in the game. (There will be no way to buy your way onto the leader board).

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    When is it coming out?

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks a lot for that, I have no issues with the concepts of IAP itself, just games that abuse it, just as you said, to buy endless continues or power-ups. I site W.E.L.D.E.R. as an example of one of my absolute favorite games then RUINED by IAP once it clearly became a matter of simply buying your score.

6. BazookaTime

Early December, unless something goes wrong. It is functioning right now but needs a lot of polish as well as some gameplay adjustments.

When it is a little more polished I will have some videos.

7. BazookaTime

Yep, I am the same way, I hate games where you can buy your way onto the leader boards. There is no point to having leader boards in a game if money plays a part in having the best score.

I will admit though it is hard to find a balance in wanting people to enjoy a free game and setting it up where people may want to spend some real money.

Another gameplay mode is Tag Team and this will also have a GC leader board. there is no tagging like in wrestling but player one plays as far as he can and then player two takes over. The two players share a combined score and try to be the best in the world. Of course one person could play this mode by their self as well.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I even think there is something to Freemium. Start off with basic gameplay free and make additional modes non-consumable/easily restored IAPs (like Pinball Arcade as an example).

9. BazookaTime

Agreed, that is a good use.

Here are 4 boss wrestlers that have all been cloned. (So eight total) None of the other in game wrestlers are clones.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s568/BazookaTime/EightBossWrestlers_zps4a755b71.jpg

10. BazookaTime

11. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Is this iPad only?

12. BazookaTime

Yes, the screen size just works a lot better for this game.

13. BazookaTime

14. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
  15. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Boo no iPod touch support.

16. BazookaTime

I hope to have some gameplay videos soon. The game is playable but not polished enough to show off.

17. BazookaTime

Wow...after a long delay I can update this a little. The plan was to have Whack-O-Wrestling out before Christmas but the size of the game was so big I had to push it to a Spring 2013 release.

I made some changes since the game was delay.

1)Each wrestler now has stats that can be leveled up.
    2)There are three championship belts with over 30 wrestlers in each division.
    3)The game is a one player game for now with the computer controlling your opponent. Local multiplayer is still probable, online at some point in the future.
    4)Whack-O-Wrestling will now be out on multiple devices.
    5)There are over 40 developer donated characters, the developers of Yipe V just joined up. (Kevin Kinell and Dylan Sisson Artist)

I tried to find a Publisher but had no luck, so I am doing a quick KickStarter campaign. The game is mostly finished but I am polishing it up and tweaking the gameplay. The in game shop needs work since there are over 100 characters to unlock. The game will launch as FREE.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1086368594/whack-o-wrestling

18. BazookaTime

Update...

Whack-O-Wrestling is finished and has been in testing, hoping to submit to Apple within the week.

Final count is 102 characters. The game will launch before Thanksgiving for Free, no ads and the iap for coin packs are 100% optional. Coins are earned in game and used in the toy machine to try to win betters stat discs for your wrestlers. You use coins (up to 10 at a time) in the toy machine.

The game is kind of rogue like in the sense that when you are defeated you go back to the start but you will keep any wrestler you have defeated.

More to come...

19. BazookaTime

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Woo.

Attached Files: