Making game trailer with ScreenFlow?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, Apr 21, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

Has anyone done game trailers with Screenflow program?

I'm testing trial version, but my exported videos looks a bit blurred, e.g not as nice as in Simulator.

My questions, what settings do you use, or you just leave all defaults and it works fine for you?

Any other hints/tips? Thanks in advance.

2. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    We've used Screenflow for some of our videos. They came out pretty well. Pretty sure it was default settings. I will double check a bit later when I get the chance. You can see an example here ... but of course it gets compressed so it looks far worse than it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1r8PTYdS_0

3. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thanks mobileben, maybe I just expect to much :)

I guess it also depends on game itself, because mine has lots of lines, compression makes it look worse?

4. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
  5. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
  6. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    How much is ScreenFlow?

I used iShowU for my video capture, it was $30 for the HD version which I thought was pretty cheap. At first I was just going to record my App with a video camera but the colors of the screen were all off. So I researched and thought iShowU (and just recording the iphone simulator) was the easiest/fastest solution for me. They have a trial version so if you're not sure if you'll like it just go that route :)

If you want to see the quick video I threw together in like 40 mins see below:

Pet Tricks Trailer

7. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Screenflow is $99, but it has editor as well so you can add text, transitions and some other stuff.

As I don't have any video editors, especially simple to use ones, I thought for $99 is not too bad?

You trailer looks good, one thing I would of fixed is made black background while recording so you don't have those blue borders around?

I will check iShowU HD as well.

8. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Ah, it has an editor. Yeah that makes sense. I already have a video editor so all I was looking for was something to capture the simulator. Hey, $99 for capture and editing sounds like a bargain then ;-)

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

You have iMovie. I used Screenflick ($25) plus iMovie for this video.

--Eric

10. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thanks Eric, forgot about iMove, will check it out!

11. derekvanvliet

derekvanvliet Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Programmer
    Toronto, Canada
    We use ScreenFlow for all of our trailers. We crank the quality settings on both video and audio all the way up as high as they'll go.

Check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/getsetgames