Drop in sales? The app store appears to be broken!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by HandheldGames, May 18, 2012.

1. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    #1 HandheldGames, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Like many developers Ive seen a hit on sales lately without a good reason. Based on 3 years of historical sales data I have a good idea where my sales should be. One of my top apps has sales at <10% of where they should be.

Attached is a screen shot of a user showing their experience with TouchSports Tennis 2012 and another showing a failed attempt to buy the free app "GameStar" as noted in a post below.

Users press buy, the button flashes briefly to a wider corrupt button that indicates its installing it, and comes back blue and is stuck. If you tap it, it momentarily turns green. On the second day of email communication, I received verification that they are aware of the issue and I should check back in 3-5 days if the issue persists... WHAT?!?@!

** Update - a second app with same behavior's been added**

Attached Files:

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I don`t wanna shock you but something like that appears from now and then on my iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S and then it does disappear again and I`m able to Download the App again Days later. I had it last Week when I tried to get the GameStar News App.

3. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Even though I can't tell whether this affects my (quite fluctuating) sales, this is scarry! I'm wondering whether iOS 5.1.1 solves this problem: the update addresses also an issue related to purchases - quoting from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1521.

It may sound a bit different from what you've described, however, if you haven't done already, it might e worth to update your iOS and check whether the problem still persists.

4. multimage

multimage Well-Known Member

While it might not be true for other big name games, I think Diablo III is affecting sales on iOS at large. Even though this week saw the worst sales for my game, I rose in rank. This means that everybody is having bad sales.

I know that I've not been caring much about anything iOS this week because of Diablo III, and this must be true for other people as well. So this might be one of the reason for the drops. Just suggesting.

5. HandheldGames

Nov 15, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    #5 HandheldGames, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Well apparently this is a difficult issue to fix? It's been a couple days with no clear resolve of the issue. Digging into historical data, the issue with my product started around 4/25. From a system design standpoint, it's probably going on undetected. Offering to build another binary to submit, I was reassured it's not an issue with my product.

In the mean time, my rankings have fallen off the side of a cliff, my daily revenue has dropped to a place I don't even want to think, and I'm encouraged to "be patient".

And yes, I did email the Captain.

6. LockStockGames

LockStockGames Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    This might explain my sales drop, but then again, it is only my third day of release.

7. HandheldGames

Nov 15, 2008
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Well, its good to know it's not my game thats causing the problem and apparently there are no mechanisms in place to catch it when its happening. :mad:

"There is currently an issue in the App store that is making apps unavailable to download. This issue has been brought to our attention and at this time we are trying to resolve this. If the error continues after the next 3-5 business days, feel free to contact us back either via email or phone."

8. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

That sucks to miss out on sales like that. My sales dropped because people don't want my games.:p. There is no button fix for that.

9. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, my sales for the past week have been up slightly. Maybe they should have been higher? :confused:

10. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    We've had a bit of a trend up lately too, but I'l definitely keep an eye on this.

Could be worse. On Android we lose about 10% of our sales due to "interal market error". Google have been aware of this for years but are not attempting to fix it at all.

11. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Not quite the same bug, but similar. yesterday i tried to buy Mini Motor Racing by The Binary Mill and it wouldn't let me buy it at all. Each time i clicked "$1.99" it would switch the the "buy" button (both buttons didn't glitch graphically). But clicking buy just brang me back to the $1.99. I tried probably ~20 times and gave up. I tried again tonight, after about 5 tries i suddenly got all of the alert messages saying my phone was out of storage. I think i copped the ~20 from yesterday as well.

Simple solution, because all i had to do was delete some old apps. But it's really sad for those developers who miss out on sales because someone can't get through and then they forget about wanting to buy it.

12. WeeAllan

WeeAllan Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Project Manager of Mobile
    Scotland
    I have noticed on a few occasions that requests to Apples live in app purchase server have been timing out. We have experienced it on the sandbox servers on occasion, but hardly ever on the live servers.

In one of our applications we request metadata from the Apple server to indicate pricing etc. The request has timed out on occasion meaning that metadata could not be delivered to the app. So basically the user is presented with a blank in app purchase screen, with no download button.

Anyone else have any problems with this type of thing recently?

Allan

13. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Indeed, on quite a few occasions I've seen apps which will not download at all only to work a few hours later. My guess is that like most system setups if the server that hosts it happens to be down that's when you get that experience.