Need a Video Producer for Game Trailers?

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by toiletbob, Dec 8, 2009.

1. toiletbob

toiletbob Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I'm a video producer by trade and was wondering if any developers were interested in having me produce a trailer for their game. Something that goes beyond a simple gameplay video, more along the lines of a promotional tool.

I can't do it for free, but I can do it for cheap. Especially initially as I figure out how the market for these would be. I would need some art assets from the game that you would like to include.

If anyone is interested take a look at my website: www.tylertv.net
    Or my youtube channel: www.youtube.com/finaldesignstudios

Then email me: [email protected]

This whole post really makes me wish I didn't choose toiletbob as my log in. :p

Thanks,
    Tyler Williams

2. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Your really good!

3. toiletbob

Dec 15, 2008
    Why thank you! I try my best. :)

4. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

If you make a promo-video, will you do in-game footage or the other one that the touch ardcade does, uses a video camera to record him playing it

5. toiletbob

Dec 15, 2008
    I can do either. But I will have to look into recording video of an app in the computer itself as I haven't done that before. So it all depends on what you would want.

6. #6 MindJuice, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    Recording someone playing the game is not as easy as you would hope.

• The lighting has to be be right

• The player has to think about how they are holding the device relative to the video framing or it gets off-center or gets glare from surrounding lights.

• The person playing has to really know their way around the game or it looks bad when they get stuck or don't know what to do next.

• You should really have a scripted set of actions or approximate actions that you want to walk through and practice it several times before recording it.
    For a bad example of the last two items, and to see what NOT TO DO in a game video see the review of Charmed from gameappshow.com. He spent half the review on the Game Over screen!!!

It is even more depressing that I PAID that guy for the review.

7. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

If you want to record on the computer, you would need to install the SDK/XCode, I think. You would also need at least an iPod Touch, and probably an app that would allow you to use the iDevice for input, but control/record on the computer.

In any case, impressive portfolio. My only suggestion is to have perhaps an example of what you can do with respect to actual iPhone apps (even if it means doing a 'promo' for an existing app). Other than that, impressive technically and artistically.

8. craneballs

craneballs Well-Known Member

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #9 EssentialParadox, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    Heh, I think I've come across you before on the DVXuser or Hv20 forums… :)

I think a developer would get a lot of worth out of a well-made viral video.

E.g., If your game features aliens, a viral video of aliens attacking earth… Or if you game is Super Monkey Ball, a viral video of a guy trying to escape from a giant monkey… Or if your game is a puzzle game of colorful blocks falling down the screen, a viral video of a guy trying to escape from, you guessed it – giant falling colorful blocks… It definitely needs 'escape' somewhere in the title, it's exciting!

10. toiletbob

Dec 15, 2008
    Wow. I'm getting way more feedback than I anticipated. Thanks guys.

I am going to work on producing a video that can show you guys what I'm thinking.

You do have to be very careful when filming a game being played on the Idevices. Light, camera angle, perspective all factor into it. They aren't the easiest things to get a picture off of using a camera. That's why I'm looking at the possibility of running apps in the computer and using a recording program to grab the footage.

Mindjuice, that video is precisley what I do not want to do. :)
    I've never liked a video that is one straight shot of a game with a host talking about it. It's boring. Yeah, that is one of the worst examples of an app video review. It was like he read an article to me.

Essential Paradox, I am a frequent DVXer, that was my first camera. DVXuser.com taught me how to shoot. I am also on the HV20 forums, although I just sold my HV30.
    The idea of a viral video really appeals to me, those are often the most fun and often viewed. My Ferretor and Beard for Men videos consistently get the most reactions from people. I had thought of the same idea with the falling blocks.

11. Shentloc

Shentloc Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    www.shentloc.com
    Taipei, Munich and Hong Kong
    Man, I'm laughing my ass off here about "Beard for Men" :D

Great stuff there!

I'll PM you soon.

12. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    great stuff man! man i ask u what camera u use? the quality is superb! :D

13. toiletbob

Dec 15, 2008
    I'm glad you guys like my stuff, I got bored of local television commercials and started to make random fun videos as a creative outlet.

Negamaki, here is my gear setup.

Panasonic GH1 using Nikon 35mm primes in combination with the stock lens.
    A Sennheiser G2 wireless lav system.
    AKG C1000s
    Sennheiser Shotgun Mic
    Tascam DR1 to record all audio
    Lowell Light Kit

And a few stabilizers, if you shoot on a DSLR you have to be careful about handheld shakiness.

This weekend I'm shooting another fake ad for a mean Santa service. If everything goes well, I'll have it up sometime in the middle of next week.

14. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Wow, you have some excellent videos. The beards one was pretty funny. I'm not making any apps anytime soon, but I will defintely refer you to any developer looking for one.

15. toiletbob

Dec 15, 2008
    Hey that's great. Thanks. Nothing is better than word of mouth.

From the amount of emails I've received, there is a ton of interest for video marketing materials for iDevice developers. This is way better than making local television commercials. :D

-Tyler

16. toiletbob

Dec 15, 2008
  17. Pinball Wizard! - promo demo

Hi Tyler...

we just released Pinball Wizard! ....would be cool to get a good demo for it...people playing...kids playing....game is a lot of fun.......

how much?

Best...
    John Popadiuk - Professional iPhone Art & Development
    Pinball Wizard! - conquer the Earth with your balls of steel!

18. toiletbob

Dec 15, 2008
    Well, that really depends on what you want. I can make a crazy epic for $1,000,000 or I can make a 10 second video clip of your logo for $1. (hint: I like the one with more zeroes) :)

The price really varies depending on what kind of video you are looking for.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] I'll send you a description of my process and we'll talk. I do the brainstorming ideas part for free. :)

For now, I'm going to research Pinball Wizard!