iPhone Musket smoke (hex based war)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Marcus70, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #1 Marcus70, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. snowpuncher

snowpuncher Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks for starting the thread Marcus. I probably should have had you on the beta testing team.

What do you think of the game so far? (From what you can see of the trailers)

Cheers,
    Woodie

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Musket Smoke looks fun, but sad to see it is multiplayer only...

4. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    Looks like fun.

5. snowpuncher

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    The main focus is multiplayer, but it also has AI skirmish maps for solo training as well. Plus an interactive tutorial that shows you how to kill, flank and use your units co-operatively.

Playing random players is like having access to many many flavours of AI. If you don't like to wait, just create more games. Eventually you should find someone that takes turns at a fast enough pace.

6. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Looks amazing. Will keep my eyes on it!

7. ToyRookGames

ToyRookGames Active Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I love hex based war games, but probably won't play if there isn't a single player campaign of some sort other than skirmish maps.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Same here, I love tbs games but I need single player or skirmish mode.

9. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Have you tried the new Civil War II game? That one went the other way and removed on device multiplayer.

It seems easier than the first Civil War game.

But the thing is, that video of Musket Smoke makes it look really fun. Shame that it needs another human.

iPadHasLotsOfMemoriesOfPlayingAgainstHumansOnXBoxLive...

10. snowpuncher

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    The skirmish maps and the AI is all free. Likewise, the online async 10 on 10 battle via Mini Matches is also free.

I'm pretty much giving away the farm on this one. Zero risk to downloaders.

If the game somehow grabs you, and you find you like it more than you expected - then you have the option to expand it by getting the online campaign.

I really don't want your money if you don't love this game. How perfect is that?

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I would gladly give you money for a single player base game, and buy all your expansion IAPs, like I did for all the Hunted Cow / Hexwar games, and Battle Academy and soon to add Panzer Corps.

You have made a very fun looking UI that makes playing look really fun.

Please consider a single player premium game.

iPadWillVamooseNowBeforeFurtherAnnoyingDeveloper...

12. snowpuncher

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks. We spent a crazy amount of time refining that UI to make it fun.

We deliberately chose to start with what we love the most. Online competitive play. It's been alpha/beta tested for over a year now as we prototyped and refined the gameplay every day.

Usually a single player campaign can be enjoyed a few times. The online component can be be enjoyed endlessly. So we decided to start with the online component.

So yes, a great single player campaign is the logical next step, although it depends upon support of the first phase.

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wait what, so there's skirmish mode included? If so I'll buy the IAP just to say thanks as the game looks great I was just worried there was no single player.

14. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #14 TokyoDan, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    In single player skirmish, you can play against the AI or another human (pass & play), You can select from 8 maps, and three army sizes. This is one of the most elegant turn-based (async if online) strategy games out there. The actual gameplay is simple, but there is no end to the depth. Online multiplayer is seamless. After you get good there is a special online campaign that can be bought that adds more weapons and strategies. this is one of the finest strategy games ever made for any platform.

It has a great tutorial, and more info about gamplay, strategies, and units then anyone could ask for. My friend and i are playing online everynight and enjoying it immensely. It seems to be the only game that get him away from XCOM: Enemy Unknown which is also on his iPad.

All of that and this game is free! I'll be sure to buy the 300yen ( about 3 bucks) campaign. This is the game I've been looking for for a very long time.

15. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    I forgot to mention the polish. Excellent! You can tell this game was made with extreme love of the art of gamemaking.

16. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    I just wonder why it was soft launched in Japan (for once I'm lucky to be here) where it will get minimum exposure and hype due to the limited English language ability of the natives. Maybe that's the reason...kind of a stealth launch where they can test the servers without being suddenly overrun by the western gameplaying hords.

17. snowpuncher

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes. A stealth launch. Just wanted to make sure the online play was working well and that Apple approves of the app before adding the final touches.

We have no servers to test. It's all just Apple's Gamecenter. So that means we can't see what people are doing. So it's great to hear that you are your friend are enjoying the game!

18. snowpuncher

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    haha.. now I'm really inspired to work harder! We hope to put the final update into the app store tonight. So I expect it will go global before the end of the month. (I wish this post was on PT!)

Cheers,
    Woodie

19. snowpuncher

Mar 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Final version submitted to the app store. We are a few short days away.

Woodie Dovich (snowpunch developer)

20. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Looking forward to play single player.