Is Gyro13 by CINEMAX worth picking up?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's on sale for 99 cents...I believe I tried the lite version but my memory of it is pretty weak.

It's peaked my interest because it looks like a steampunk flavored cave flyer, but I have no idea how it plays...if there are missions, if the terrain is randomly generated, etc.

Any impressions from those who have played it? How similar/disimilar is it to Gene Effect?

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I played it for a VERY short time when it went free one time and had trouble getting into it due to frustrating controls. The reason why I deleted it so fast was because I picked up Gene Effect. And GE was just so much more enjoyable, that I deleted Gyro.

To me GE is far superior. But, again, I didn't play Gyro that long. Have thought about giving it another try sometime down the line.

3. Human X

Human X Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    I bought it before the sale for $6.49 and it was great. For 99c it is a bargain. It was one of the greatest games I had on my iPad. Great controls, great graphics and great music make it very cool to play at night with headphones on. The only thing that you may dislike about it is file size. If memory serves, it is something like 500-600 MB. It is similar to Gene Effect but I have always favoured Gyro13.

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Controls are fairly atrocious, but I'd say for a buck it's a good buy.

5. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I was terribly bored after a while... I didn't find much fun in slowly, painfully and tediously navigating my gyro through fixed linear levels. I really liked the steam punk influences on the level and gyro designs though.

6. I agree with some of the others, the controls are a little funky, and the file size is really big. Also, there isn't really a wow factor.

But the gameplay is solid, and if you like choplifter type games, you will enjoy it.

For a buck though, I say it is worth it. A good solid game with a couple of flaws.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ehh, I think I'll hold off. There are plenty of great ios games, after all, and a buck here is a buck I can't spend somewhere else. Plus, I'm under the 5 bucks left on my account threshold, which marks where I begin to get picky.

Oh yeah, Arkham Asylum is on sale too; I'll probably grab that even though it will never see a spot on my device due to its size.

8. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I found the controls totally manageable. Its not better than GE for sure but its a rather nice arcade game with rocking visuals and a fun difficulty level.

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Game was way too challenging in later levels for me but it had nothing to do with the controls once their locked down. For the more superior player it probably helped make the game actually. Great theme also.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Tbh, I like Gyro13 gameplay wise more, but controls fail in it. GE all the way