Depict vs. Charadium, Which Do You Like?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jamesj3k, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jamesj3k

jamesj3k Well-Known Member

#1 jamesj3k, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Depict and Charadium are both free for a limited time. We'd love to hear what people like / dislike about both.

Looks like December is Pictionary-like game month! We released Depict, there's was another one called Draw, and now Charadium is out.

We'd be curious to know what people like about each. Depict is a little different compared to Charadium, mainly because there is no typing and all the puzzles are multiple choice for faster, smoother play. We also went with OpenFeint over Plus (only for time reasons). We're still debating moving to Plus+. Which do you guys think is better?

In our opinion, Depict and Charadium are the two best drawing games in the app store. Get them both!

2. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I haven't tried Depict. As it's multiple choice though, what's to stop a player rapidly mashing all the buttons and get the right answer first this way, before the other player has even drawn anything?

3. jamesj3k

You only get one guess per round and the rounds go quickly. You have to balance guessing too soon and waiting too long and not getting as many points.

4. nake

nake Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Charadium is amazing, but theres some serious connection issues

5. jamesj3k

That's always a developer's worst fear- that there will be server issues on launch day. I'm sure they'll get it resolved.

6. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    SO far I like charadium better, but it has been annoying today. Keeps putting me in some crashed game lobby. Yesterday it was wroking like a beauty though

7. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    I'm gonna have to say Charadium. Psyche. Depict is my personal favorite (for real). I just love the simplicity and retro feel to it.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Depict.

9. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Well it looks like I need to play depict more...

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #10 MidianGTX, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    Do they both support multiplayer on the same device? Depict seems to, but I can't tell with Charadium.

Edit: alright so neither of them do :p

11. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Having played both of these games for quite awhile now, I would say that although they have some similarities, they each have their own unique appeal.

They are both really great games, and I can't say one is better than the other, and I would instead say to anyone that they should get both. :)

12. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    I agree. Great game and I had my whole family d/l it. But 2 of us were trying to play right next to eachother and it was the laggiest game I ever played on my phone. We tried wifi with 3g off, than 3g with wifi off and had issues still. Shouldnt be like that for local play

13. mitrezom

mitrezom Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ironically lag is one of the reasons for the look/feel of Depict.

We went with the pixelated retro feel cause it's much much easier to send a small amount of data across the planet every few seconds than sending a complete animation every few milliseconds.

Course, it also introduces some great gameplay elements.

Such as, it's harder to draw really detailed stuff, so it keeps the rounds quick and fun without people having to worry about drawing the perfect stickman.

It also levels the playing field between really experienced players and n00bs. My smiley face looks pretty much exactly the same as a new guy's smiley face :).

You wouldn't think that it's a big deal, but the fact my 3 year old niece can draw a "dog" and people guess it right says something about the overall gameplay being easy and rewarding.

Anyway... lots of thought went into this "simple" game. It's great that our initial gameplay decisions are being enjoyed. It's a bit of a gamble releasing a Pictionary genre game where you don't type and don't draw crazy detailed drawings on a 2 min timer.

"Quick, Fun, & Easy" was the motto for this game and I'm glad everyone is enjoying it as much as we do :)

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I like Charadium better.

I found it hard to draw in Depict's pixel style (big pixels just makes even ordinary things hard to draw or make them look strange) and the multiple choice answers, although they don't make guessing any simpler, it sort of limits what people can guess, which is what's fun about pictionary games.

In Charadium, you type in your answers and it makes for some very funny answers and hilarious moments. It's a great pity that Charadium often has connection problems and lag.

15. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    I found a problem in Depict: If I get the last word wrong, in round 5 of 5, then I don't get told afterwards what the correct word was.
    In rounds 1 to 4 if I get a word wrong, then I am shown what the word was meant to be.
    On the 5th round though, in the space where the answer normally would be shown, there is instead just a message saying that the next game will be starting soon.

P.S. Can the game be set to remember our chosen avatars between sessions?
    And is there any chance we could draw our own in-game? ;)

16. mitrezom

mitrezom Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    We're adding in the wrong answer for the 5th round in the next update.

We're going to update the avatars to stay between games. Just something we thought people wouldn't care about keeping since it's so easy to change, but we'll just add it in for fun.

Drawing your own avatar....... yes, it's on our mind... we'll see :)

17. fallqvist

fallqvist Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I must say that depict is amazing. I havent tried that other game but i think i would like depict more anyway, because it's so simple and clean, all necessary things are there!

although it's only on English...which of course is very obvious, but I really can't be arsed to translate all words for my little sister. Ever thought about translating all words too more languages? Heck I could even help you translate them for free to swedish. I believe that would help you get even more sales.

*I'm on my iPhone right now so there might be some spelling mistakes.

Thanks

18. appfreak

appfreak Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Geek (Media editor)
    London
    I'm sold with Depict. The visual style and the gameplay makes it different from Charadium, since I'm not too keen on typing when playing. I think part of the fun is trying to guess between the choice given when the drawing is bad

19. Anthony Charadium

Anthony Charadium Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    On5
    Hey James!

It's really nice to meet you here because we were really surprised and somewhat scared when we were pending approval on the AppStore and saw your game live a couple of days before ours :)

Thank you for your warm feedback!

In the first couple of days our servers were really overloaded because we were not able to test it with such huge amount of people, but now it all looks fine, and the lags users experience are caused either by their connectivity or some client issues on the iPhone. From time to time some devices start lagging really bad when other devices on the same wifi network are fine. Only waiting or rebooting the device helps, re-launching or re-connecting does not.

We faced the problem in the early stages of development and haven't yet figured out what it is. This happens on the long-lasting push connection Charadium keeps open with the application server and does not seem to affect short outgoing requests.

20. jamesj3k

Hey, nice to meet you too! You can imagine our surprise seeing your app launch right after ours. Too funny. I sent you a PM if you want to chat about technical stuff outside the forum.