Apprelief.com

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Amelia, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Hi all!

Just wanted to let you all know about an initiative formed through several of the devs on this forum. It's called apprelief.com and there are a bunch of devs who have gotten together and are donating some or all of their proceeds to the Haitian relief (the Red Cross).
    So, check it out and let your money go to a good cause and get some great apps. :)
    also, spread the word through whatever channels you have. we are on twitter @apprelief
    thanks!

2. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Nice work!
    Devs... Listn Up!

3. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    thanks! we are still accepting new devs too!!

4. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    Not to be a killjoy, but just donate your money directly to the Red Cross if you want to make a larger impact.

This kind of thing, while started with good intentions, actually takes away from relief donations. Apple is definitely going to keep their full cut, then subtract whatever portion devs keep (and hope they are honest).

Go here to donate to the red cross or just search for it with google if you don't trust the link.

5. More games from Freeverse and other developers just added!

Visit www.appRelief.com to see all the available games & apps!

6. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    as much as I am for supporting the relief and everything else (i have donated everywhere!) I just think there should be a line. im sorry, not trying to offend anyone but come on, some apps never get discovered while some donate money to a horrible crisis? but hey, it is publicity. It just needs to know where to stop ;) cuz once I see an add in game for donations, that'll be the day!

7. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I finally got Skee-Ball because of this today. I was on the fence about it, but seeing that it was for a good cause now really pushed me to buy it.

8. Hi prez,

I'm afraid you're not being very clear here. Is there something wrong with us donating our profits to charity?

Also, Apple does not allow contributions to charity from directly within an app due to legal issues.

9. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    haha no no its cool. ;) and i was saying like in ad games like in maybe world of warcraft I see a giant poster/billboard saying "HELP HAITI". Thats crossing the line.

proceed :D

10. Heh...gotcha!

Or what if companies started putting advertising banners into sports and other action games advertising real world products? That would be lame!

Oh wait....they already do! Damn you Massive Incorporated!!! :D

11. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    i know...shame...but sometimes its cool. like in the game 'City of Heroes' they have some real world product ads on billboards, but they have a huge line of products, do 1 billboard may be coke, while somthing else is like a TV show. but they also adapt the billboard and ad to the game, so it doesnt look that missfitted. but having a pepsi add everywhere, sucks. and any ads in W.o.W. would suck

12. Bogucci

Bogucci Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    @home.nl
    I've, like most people, directly donated to the Red Cross.
    Anyway since it's for a good cause I'll purchase a couple of apps.

Keep up the good work!

13. GamerOne

GamerOne Member

Jan 23, 2010
    You have to applaud the effort. There are many people out there that are on the edge of buying a particular game but they may not want to spend the money. If they see that the money is going to go to a good cause it gives them a feel good moment which pushes them over the edge. These could be people who have already donated to the red-cross.

To those that donate! THANKS!

14. jen12323

jen12323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Wow, apprelief raised $28,000 so far (posted on their site) and indierelief raised over $148,000!!! congrats on the success!

15. GamerOne

GamerOne Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Dang, indierelief ftw...