Fellow devs, unite for untold riches!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kyle Poole, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    #1 Kyle Poole, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    You may have noticed that the ALL-IN-1 GAMEBOX is consistently at the top of the paid charts. They are raking in millions of dollars, mostly because they offer 26 crappy games for just $0.99.

But I have a better idea...

30 games for just $0.99. That's right, thirty crappy games for only a buck. Now who would buy 26 games when you can get 30??

So all I need is 30 devs with crappy games to join me. When we make $1 million in profit, everyone gets $33,333! That is far far more than your crappy game could make on its own.

We can't lose!!! Who's with me? WHO'S WITH ME??!!! :D

Edit:

Well I'm actually serious about this, but not about the crap part... I'm putting together themed bundles of 10 decent quality games. Eg Puzzle game bundle, action bundle, etc. Games that are good but could not get visibity on the app store, or perhaps older games whose sales have died down. I have already secured $10,000 in funding to kick it off.

Bundles of 10 good games have a great chance to dominate the charts, as well as provide good profits to the devs. The new website will be launched in a day or two, but devs that want in on the ground floor can contact me for more details...

http://www.appbundles.com

2. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Might work, BUT you wouldn't be the original, the first game in normally does the best, basically you guys would just be "another 30-in-1" if you know what I mean. It's a good idea, but unless you offer 30 decent games I don't think it will do nearly as well. You would probably be better off just making ten or so mini games then getting other Dev's to do the rest, I doubt too many Dev's are going to jump into a project when you need that many people. Even if every Dev did only five games you guys would at least make a decent profit, but if you have to divide it by 30 and the game didn't sell well, you would end up with 29 angry Dev's and very little money. Just my two cents.

3. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Why bother with 30? 27 should suffice! ;)

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Its so lame that Triniti is making loads of cash..I think they got banned from the forums for shilling awhile ago..

5. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Genius! :D

6. AggroPanda

AggroPanda Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I could just make 30 crap games and have the $1m all to myself... MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

But seriously, it's a good idea, and if enough dev's sign up so will I :cool:

7. Jack Shiels

Jack Shiels Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lets not even bother with thirty, rather go for ONE HUNDRED!

Richrichrich!

8. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Yeah but with 100 you have to divide by too many people, so less profits :p

I guess NickFalk is right, 27 seems perfect... But what happens if someone comes out with a 28 game bundle? D'OH!!! :p

9. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'll never understand the app store. I look at the 26-in-1 game box and say, "man, there's maybe 1 game in here I'd play for 5 minutes" ... meanwhile it's at the top of the charts. I think Sinecure Industries just needs to come out with a serious piece of crap and rake in the cash.

10. Come on, guys, you're not thinking like like a true crapware designer. Let me point you back to the good ol' days of the 1000-in-1 carts you could get for NES or Game Boy or whatever. Truly, there were 1,000 games (or however many they crammed in) on each cart, but generally there were about a dozen or more variations of the same game: Tetris! Bottom-up Tetris! Tetris with new pieces! Tetris with new graphics! Reverse Tetris! Tetris from the side! Tetris from the other side! Tetris with erotic pictures in the background (a.k.a. Titris)! Tetris - The Salvador Dali Remix! Tetris with lettuce and mayo on rye! Plus sixty versions of Mario Bros., forty versions of Duck Hunt, and a bunch of obscure games from Brazil nobody has ever heard of.

You could take a couple dozen crap games and make a couple dozen variants of each and now you've got over 500 games in one app!

11. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    #11 MrBlue, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Best idea so far. 500-1 Game box. How can it not automatically jump to #1?!?! :)

Seriously, someone is now going to do this and rake in a million bux.

12. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Actually in the interest of full disclosure, I did purchase the ALL-IN-1 Bundle and think it's totally worth the $0.99

I remember back in the olden days when I was a Palm developer... I got so many emails from people who bought a retail package box with 300 Palm games, that included some of my games... Only these games were just all demos available freely on the net! That was the biggest scam, they didn't even have to do any work themselves to make their millions :rolleyes:

13. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    All kidding aside, this sounds like a good idea. I myself would sign up for this if this gets serious. I'm getting ready to develop my simple word game, and I'm not entirely convinced it would sell enough on its own, but in a compilation it might. This is sort of like the CDs with tons of software that came in magazines in the last decade. Sounds cool. :)

14. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    This is a good idea...

An even better idea is to bundle some very good rated games together. I know some people who are trying to do this - but they want to take a bigger slice of the pie to the developers. So good luck to them.

This is nothing new, it happened in music in the early 80s - it was so successful that these compilation albums were not included in the charts. And of course the games industry has gone down this route before with compilation bundles.

This will be a common thing for developers to do - if they have produced 5 good games that are past their sell by date, then doing a 5 game bundle just makes sense. Quality over quantity is the better deal for most people :)

15. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    So lets do this. I'm in. :) Quality is good, but quantity is important in this case as well. :D As long as it's not too many, let's say 30 plus or minus is ok.

16. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    This development strategy also worked for this utility app called appbox pro and I love it :D

17. HappyFuntime

HappyFuntime Active Member

Haha Kyle, you're a genius!!! :D

Whether it works or not, at least this thread is good for a chuckle, I got a real Braveheart vibe coming off that first post.. I'm with you brother! FREEEDOMMM!!!

18. Medeival

Medeival Active Member

I hope that my game not a crap :) but I agreed with your idea.

I can propose my game Parallelus to such pack.

If you find 30 developers with normal games who want unite, then it is possible to speak with TA administration. To make something like: @Touch Arcade game pack@.

I think such game pack received much more exposure and possibly TA received additional visitors.

19. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    What about 50 games developed by 25 people?

If you're able to make a crappy game, it shouldn't be that hard to develop 2 crappy games.

I'm not a developer, but I'm the idea guy, so a slice of the pie should be mine.

Let's get rich.

Thanks.

20. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Did the all-in-one DS effects app sell well? that was total crap. The 26-in-one is actually not totally crap - still haven't played all of the games but some of them are decent. So maybe at least a little quality is required.