Should pause disqualify score submission in action games/modes?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amichail, Jun 18, 2010.

1. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    In an action game/mode, if something pauses gameplay (user or system initiated), should that disqualify score submission at the end?

This seems like the right thing to do to ensure fairness, but what if the user gets a battery low alert?

What is typically done in action games/modes with respect to pausing and fairness?

2. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i don't think it's fair at all. i don't understand how pausing a game is going to improve your gaming abilities, thus disqualifying you from a high score. if you're so into a game that you have to keep pausing to wipe the sweat off your hands because getting that high score is SOOO important, you've got bigger problems than worrying about the other guy challenging your leaderboard rank.

then again, leaderboards and high scores are the last thing i care about when playing a game, so i guess it doesn't matter what a developer does to my score when i get a new notification on my screen.

3. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    By pausing frequently, you have more time to think about how to react. It's cheating.

4. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    Pausing can be a double edged sword because you have to get back into the zone and such. I don't really think it should disqualify you, not only does it seem like its not that big of a deal, I think it hurts your score more than it helps, I couldn't imagine pausing tilt to live and even have a chance of coming back and living.

5. Spocket

Spocket Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    No.. You're thinking about this way too much...

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Or you could just limit the number of times a player is allowed to pause the game within one session [i.e. Doodle Jump].

7. KDR_11k

KDR_11k Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    That makes no sense in most games. The ones where it does the main screen typically gets blanked during a pause (e.g. Tetris for the original Game Boy did that, haven't played any newer Tetris versions) so you could only benefit from it if you have photographic memory. In fast action games you'll likely waste more time on reaching for the pause button than any thinking can make up for.

8. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    I don't think that should be done, especially when iDevices are mostly mobile devices. It sucks to be a game dork that ignore your surrounding and completely focus on your game until it ends. :(