iPad Bike or Die 2 out

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Carlos-Sz, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    For that I was not expecting... I've played on my Palm but iPhone version looks really nice.

$2.99 is not that high by the way.

AppStore link

:)

2. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Shit, short of money, don't get paid for a week. Ahh, I'll starve... Downloading now. :)

3. darwiniandude

Nov 1, 2008
    BRILLIANT!!!! My new fave game!
    Fluid, great physics, 2500 levels, online score and I think replays... Much music and way too many customization options(typical of palm dev) but it's a good thing... Really good built in tutorials and help everywhere.

Well worth skipping lunch for. :)

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm definitely buying. Will post comments later today.

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Is this like Jelly Car?
    I have to admit I didn't really enjoy Jelly Car. Maybe it's because I never got a handle on the controls but the game didn't really appeal to me. I found it extremely frustrating.
    So I'm wondering if Bike or Die is like it, because then I obviously know to stay away.

6. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    i bought it
    i hated jelly car too

7. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    So do you like this one then?
    And does this mean it's not similar to Jelly Car? :)

8. darwiniandude

Nov 1, 2008
    there was a similar of game years ago, enduro? There is an open source version of that too for Linux mac win.

Controls and gameplay much better than jelly car, jelly is cool but crazy, this is realistic. Quite different games, although sharing some concepts.

Nothing is made of Jelly in this :)

9. Hello

Hello Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    California;
    bike or die 2

does it seem complicated or are the controls smooth?:confused:

10. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Simply great game! Controls are good but it takes some getting used to how the rider reacts to your input. Realistic? Not really. That A-word? Yeah (addictive)

11. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    bought it straight away. Controls, due to being onscreen, aren't as nice as my Zodiac 2(don't laugh, I only bought it on ebay for BOD !!), but it's very smooth so far, and you can download levels as well.

great price as well.

12. Hello

Hello Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    California;
    okk thanks... downloading now...

13. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    yea its not clsse to it
    not need to use the fustrating accelerometer

fun game except that it challenging; can get fustrated if you keep retrying
    p.s the dam bike is so bouncy man

but wroth the price!

14. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I liked Jelly Car, it got boring though because there are so few levels.
    I actually didn't mind the accelerometer and thought it was well implemented

15. bwinton

bwinton Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I've been playing the beta for a while now, after being a huge fan of the Palm version, and yeah, it's tons of fun on my iTouch, too.

I also found Jelly Car way too hard, and while Bike Or Die is harder than I remember it being on the Palm, I'm starting to get decent at it again, after only a few weeks. (Hey, I'm old. And slow. ;) )

As for their being too many customization options, yeah, perhaps there are, but my daughter and I spent an enjoyable 15 minutes choosing what my biker would look like, (Girl, pink wheels, green bike, red seat, blue shirt, dark green shorts, helmet, if you wondered) so even though there might be too many of them, at least they're still fun, and you don't need to change any of them to play the game.

16. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I've been trying to keep my purchases to a minimum (especially since I'm waiting for NFS) is this worth a purchase? I have a feeling that this is going to rise in price to about $4.99 in a bit.

17. bwinton

bwinton Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I suggested to the developer that he charged $7.99, since I would easily pay for it at that price. $9.99 would be a tougher choice for me, but I would probably still have gotten it. $14.99 would be a really tough sell, and I might not have bought it if that was the price.

But at $2.99 it's a no-brainer. I bought two! ;) (No, I didn't really. I don't even know if I can...)

18. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #18 BrettArchibald, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
    This game looks like it could be quite interesting.
    I have a few questions though, that I hope someone can answer for me...

Does this game have a steep learning curve?
    I know that's more of an "opinion" type question than a "fact" type question - it's just that I prefer "casual" gaming on my iPhone, and don't want to spend weeks mastering it. I just wanna pick up & play and have fun, and not tear my hair out in frustration because I just can't get past level 3 or something...

Related to the above and my preference for casual gaming and mastering the controls, just what exactly are all those on-screen controls? There's quite a lot of them, it seems...
    Some are obvious, like "Menu" and "Go" and "Stop", but what do the others do?
    The compass?
    The rewind button? (Start the level over?)
    The 3 arrows in the bottom left?
    The two blue arrows in the middle at the bottom?

[​IMG]

19. bwinton

bwinton Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I don't think so, but then again, I played the Palm version long ago. ;)

There are a couple of levels that are really hard to get past, but you can skip over them. I remember first playing it on my Palm, and I basically skipped every other level for the first month, since I couldn't complete them. But I could still get to the end by skipping levels, and eventually I went back and finished them all off.

In order:
    Menu - View Whole Map - Pause - Restart.

Kick left - Kick Right - Go!
    Flip direction - Stop.

The two blue arrows are part of the background of the level, not controls.

Check the videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/toyspring and you can see kind of what the kick left and kick right arrows do. (It's like, popping a wheelie, or doing an endo, sorta. Assuming my 20-year-old slang is still relevant. ;) )

20. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated! :)

I checked out the video too, but now it's brought on a follow-up question...
    In the screengrabs below, the person appears to be playing without any on-screen controls at all. How's that working then? Do you get options to control by tilting?

[​IMG]

The part of the video just before this showed the guy changing a setting of "Lock bike rotation" from off to on - but I don't see why that would make your controls disappear.
    Hmmm, actually it's probably got nothing to do with that - it's more likely just the video cuts/edits that coincidentally put these shots in that order...