[Help]How can i make a youtube vedio of my game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by qxCharles, Jun 4, 2010.

1. qxCharles

qxCharles Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    I am one of the IPhone/Ipad game developers. Although the developping process is diffcult, the game is approaching to close-date.

There is a question now confusing me and my group--how to make a game video?

Is that the only way using DV to record it outsider?
    Is there any method we can record better video?

Many thanks to your experience:)

2. You might be able to record it using the iPhone Simulator and a screen casting application like ScreenFlow or iShowU.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You could always just use a regular (high quality) camcorder and film yourself playing it. It looks pretty professional if you just show someone's hands holding the device in front of a bright white background (so the screen doesn't glare) then use a video editing program to add things like banners/logos/scene transitions and so on.

4. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    What's the best way for you to make a video of your game? I'm not sure, but I do know the steps I used to make my promo video...

http://photics.com/commove

1. I used the screen capture feature in QuickTime. My mac uses Snow Leopard, so I'm not sure if older versions of the software have this.
    2. I then used iMovie to edit the best clips and to crop the screen recording. (I didn't want to show the whole desktop, just action from the game itself.)
    3. I then added a music track, which is the main theme song from the game.

That was my video. It could have been uploaded to YouTube from there, but I put it on my website by converting it to a Flash friendly format.

I think the final result looks really good. I watched the Commove promo many times.

5. bushin

bushin Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
  6. qxCharles

qxCharles Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    thanks guys!

i tried to use dv to record. The effect is OK but not professional.

Also i have tried the Ipad simulator, but it runs at very lower speed than on real Ipad.

Iphone version is OK with the simulator. and is ther any suggestion about Ipad version?

7. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

For Alien Swing, I captured a delta of screen changes every 3rd frame (for a 20fps movie), saved this to the iPhone, then converted it into a movie on the Mac, and finished it off in iMovie.

8. tylertv

tylertv Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I've shot the iphone screen for a number of ads now. Here's how I do it.

First, turn the brightness down on the phone to something that looks good to the camera. For my camera, about 1/4th of the slider bar is good. If it's too bright you're going to wash out the details.

Set up the camera on a tripod, even a cheapo one will work.

Point the camera to the floor.

Sit in a chair in front of the camera with the iphone within the cameras field of view. You're going to shoot the video upside down, then turn the image over in post. If you have a flip out LCD, turn it over so you can see what you're doing.

Make sure you focus to the iphone screen.

I rest forward with the iphone in my hands, elbows on my knees to steady myself.

Here's the hard part, keeping the iphone still while recording. You can't tilt the screen to your face like you normally would, you have to keep it facing the camera lens. This takes some practice and a lot of takes to get right, but remember you can always cut out the stuff that doesn't work.

Then load up your footage into an editor, I think iMovie would work. rotate your image 180 degrees and there you go.

I usually throw some sort of backdrop on the floor covering the cameras view because the concrete of my studio doesn't look very nice. :)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

9. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with snapz pro and iMovie, but .. i could see how you may find the cursor annoying.

10. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    iShowU HD for screen capture can't go wrong.