Looking for a racing game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sarahsdad, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sarahsdad

sarahsdad Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I'm having an urge for a racing game, and hoping folks can help me. I'm a recent enough convert to portable gaming on the ipod, that I don't really know the franchises to mention when looking for a recommendation; forgive me for starting with console references.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a Ridge Racer, or maybe Burnout if either of those are possible.

I don't mind getting better cars or better parts for my car as I go, but I'd rather not start out in a Ford Focus, and race through lots of laps to get a slightly faster, better tuned Ford Focus.

Also, I would like to stay away from both the more technical games like Gran Turismo, and the really game-y kart racing.

Suggestions, comments, questions?

2. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Agreed. Real Racing is the Gran Turismo of the iPhone, NFS is pretty basic in comparison, has nice graphics and story mode.

4. MrMiller

MrMiller Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    not a big fan of racing games myself but im pretty sure almost every single person will say real racing. the only game i have is fastlane which I always liked... but its really hard. its just 99c though so good deal there

5. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I think that the only two games you should be considering are Real Racing and NFS Undercover. From what you tell us, it seems that NFS would be more adecuate. It was made to be like Burnout Paradise, except that they weren't able to bring the city to iPhone version so it's a bunch of individual races. There is a lot of customization and you drive by tilting your phone, which feels very responsive, though, it's very very asisted, completely arcade.

I have both of these games and although I still play them both, as soon as I got Real Racing, it became my favorite racer quite possibly on any device.
    I would describe it as being in between Ridge Racer and Gran Turismo. The main reason why I stayed away from it at the beginning is because I wanted to customize my cars (you can't at all in Real Racing, nor are they real, existing cars) and because I too wanted to avoid a GT experience on my iPhone. But the truth is that the driving experience is so orgasmic in Real Racing, soon you don't want to play anything else. There are various ways of driving and my favorite one is where you actually use the car's inside view and control the steering wheel. Let me tell you that I have NEVER used the inside view, I hate it. But in Real Racing, it's wonderful.

You will enjoy both games. NFS comes closer to what you want, but the truth is that it doesn't even come close to Real Racing. I say this as a hardcore NFS Undercover supporter. RR blew me away.

In case you want more options, which I consider inferior, try out Gameloft's Ferrari Game or wait for the new Need for Speed game, it could turn out to be great.

Let me know if you have any questions or want more options.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    You might like Fastlane...idk anything about the games you mentioned :D
    But as I'm sure you'll hear over and over, Real Racing is the best racing game

7. sarahsdad

sarahsdad Member

Oct 1, 2009

Thanks for the rundown. For some reason, the whole Undercover thing never grabbed me as much as I thought it would. I think I'll pick up Asphalt and Fastlane for now, and see how the upcoming NFS game matches up against RR when it comes out.

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Nooo don't get asphalt

9. sarahsdad

sarahsdad Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Oooops. well. If I hate it, I will at least freely admit that I bought it with some fair warning that there are better games.

I figure I'll wait for the new NFS game, and see how that stacks up against RR, then spend the relatively big bucks on one of them.

The only thing that worries me about RR is seeing phrases like "drive the line", because I usually hear them when someone's talking about the more technical racing games.

And no matter what, it'll cost me a lot less to hunt around for a fun racing game here than on a console.

10. themendoz

Apr 7, 2009
    I think fastlane is a good option. I really enjoyed the lite version and if it's still 99c, you get a great deal and lotsa fun. Be warned though, the iDevices are capapble of much more graphics and feature-wise. I´ve heard everywhere that people complain about Assfault so it might be a good idea to start with Fastlane and then wait for the new NFS or RR.

Don't worry too much about the simulation side to RR. The developer addressed that issue and convinced me thouroughly. When asked if his game was an arcade or a simulation, he simply stated that it was a mix of both and said that simulation is a term people use when they can't get their vehicles to respond appropriately. He wanted to create an experience where even real life drivers could try out his game and feel that the controls were responsive to what is expected of a car. Someone probably has that link somewhere and it was fun reading his opinions.

Anyway, maybe you like wipe-out-like games. Low grav racer and Phaze are the best clones in the app store. You might like those too.

11. themendoz

Apr 7, 2009
    I think fastlane is a good option. I really enjoyed the lite version and if it's still 99c, you get a great deal and lotsa fun. Be warned though, the iDevices are capapble of much more graphics and feature-wise. I´ve heard everywhere that people complain about Assfault so it might be a good idea to start with Fastlane and then wait for the new NFS or RR.

Don't worry too much about the simulation side to RR. The developer addressed that issue and convinced me thouroughly. When asked if his game was an arcade or a simulation, he simply stated that it was a mix of both and said that simulation is a term people use when they can't get their vehicles to respond appropriately. He wanted to create an experience where even real life drivers could try out his game and feel that the controls were responsive to what is expected of a car. Someone probably has that link somewhere and it was fun reading his opinions.

Anyway, maybe you like wipe-out-like games. Low grav racer and Phaze are the best clones in the app store. You might like those too.

12. sarahsdad

sarahsdad Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Good idea. I used to like wipeout years ago, but it's been so long since I played one, I hadn't even thought of it. Thanks!

13. themendoz

Apr 7, 2009
    Your welcome! I can't really tell you which of those two is better since I haven't bought them so you might help me decide in the future which one to buy =)

14. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    If you are including racing games without wheels, Ground Effect (old thread) really is coming soon. The video is very out of date and should be replaced by something more up to date in the next week or so.

15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Well, if you're a fan of Burnout, then get Asphalt 4, or wait for Asphalt 5. I'm not particularly a big fan of Asphalt 4, however, those who like Burnout would like Asphalt 4.

If you're looking for something along the lines of Gran Tourismo, then get Real Racing, or wait for Need For Speed: Shift.

16. Daniel Novoa

Daniel Novoa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    There's one called Killer Edge Racing which I bought because at the time it had 5 stars and the pics all reminded me of the first ridge racers especially the arcade ones like rave racer and ridge racer .

I really recomend it, lots of tracks and 12 cars which are all based on real cars, and since you are looking for a rr styled racing game than this is it!

17. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I like Real Racing and NFSU

18. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I love Burnout Paradise, and I would recommend Need for Speed Undercover. Also, don't write off Kart racing games, they can be more fun than you expect.

19. sarahsdad

sarahsdad Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Played Asphalt 4 last night for a bit, and it doesn't seem like too bad of a game.
    The mechanic of upgrading the car after each race though has never been a favorite of mine, so off to the recycle bin with it.