Universal Suited Up - Jump anywhere platformer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Anson, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

#1 Anson, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Release date: 4/24/14
    Price: $1.99

Hello! My name is Anson Brown and I'm finally posting about a game I've been working on for quite a while now called Suited Up.

Gameplay is primarily focused on jumping. When you touch the screen, that location becomes the apex of the jump arc. I went with this approach because I wanted to make a platformer, but really, really dislike on-screen buttons. I left the crosshairs on in the gameplay video to make it easier to see how it works. You're basically trying to get to the goal in each level in as little time and as few jumps as possible. Each level has a collectible that's usually harder to reach. I also added a lot of different colored suits that can be unlocked by reaching certain goals.

The game includes a level editor, which works kind of like an art program. You can stamp assets anywhere and specify their type (solid, bouncy, etc.) The way it works allows a lot of freedom in that any of the built-in textures can be used and modified on the 3 main layers. Players can upload any levels they create and search for and download others. I'll post a video of level creation soon.

I really wanted the game to be competitive, so I've allowed every level, built-in and user created, to have global leaderboards. You can also choose to compete against either your own ghost or the global best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Small (early in game) level that shows how the jumping mechanics work:
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the suit colors that can be unlocked. There are many, many more and I'm always open to suggestions on other colors.

[​IMG]

Here's a quick gameplay video I made. The slowdown is from the recording software, not the game.

Quick sped level editor demo. The level theme is just for fun :p

I think maybe I went a little overboard for my first game, but it's been fun! Should be done fairly soon and I have no plans to add any IAP. Oh, and it'll be universal. Any comments/questions/suggestions are appreciated.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

That's a pretty smart way of making a platformer with no on-screen controls. Will keep an eye on this. Interesting visual style as well

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Looks like a cool challenging platformer! Love the art as well

4. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Thanks. The controls were really the first thing I thought of and everything else came later.

5. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Looks awesome. Level editor too - yum.... I feel like that jumping sound effect might get to me after a while though.

6. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

#6 Anson, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    I've been adding more suit skins lately. Figured if the game is named Suited Up then you'd better be able to suit up. I have 25 different ones in so far, but may end up adding more. These are unlocked just by completing different tasks in-game.

Here's a few of the ones added:

[​IMG]

Also if anyone has any color suggestions feel free to let me know. For some of them I've taken inspiration from classic games/movies/etc. There's a Megaman colored one in there somewhere (not shown here).

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Spider Man
    Super Man
    Iron Man
    Tron

8. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Hah. Already got a Tron-esque one in there, but the others are doable. Thanks!

9. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Just posting a quick update about the level editor.

You have to actually complete a level you've made before you can save it, so I've added something in that automatically gives it a difficulty rating based on how many attempts you made. As more people download and play a level, their attempts will average in and adjust the difficulty.

Also, I've been messing around with the idea of adding cooperative level building via bluetooth at some point, probably after release. Just wondering if this is something people would actually be interested in.

10. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Here's a sped up video of a simple level being created with the level editor. I used one of the small level sizes and made it really simple so the video wouldn't be too long.

Oh, and I'm betting you all can probably guess what I based the level on. Don't worry, though. I promptly deleted it.

There are a whole lot more assets (and more detailed) than the ones I used in the video and any of them can be used as death triggers/modified/cut up/etc.

11. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Small update

Just updating about a new feature I added to make sharing levels easier.

You can always search for levels in-game by name or creator, but I wanted to add an option for quickly sharing between friends without having to search. Now after creating and uploading a level, you can tap a share button and share a link via text/mail/facebook/twitter. When your friend clicks the link, it'll open Suit Up and take you to the download screen for that particular level.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions about what I've done or things I plan to do.

12. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Name change

Changed the name to "Suited Up" because it's a little more unique and easier to find.

13. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Dropbox sync

Saw that Eli was wondering why more games don't use dropbox syncing, so I looked into the SDK. Turns out it was really easy, so I added it to Suited up!

Right now it syncs progress, settings and stats. I'll work on adding syncing for created and downloaded levels when I get a chance.

14. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Release date

Suited Up has been approved and the release date is set for April 24th!

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Wow, can't wait. What's pricing on this awesome looking game?

16. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
  17. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Pricing will be $1.99. No ads or IAP.

18. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Not a flappy fan but that level editor video is really awesome!

19. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Count me in. Great idea.

20. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

#20 Anson, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Hah yeah just made that level for fun to demonstrate the editor. Thanks!