Sneak Peek - League of Evil 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ravenousgames, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravenousgames

ravenousgames Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    #1 ravenousgames, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

The creators of the critically acclaimed League of Evil (Ravenous Games and WoblyWare) have teamed up with Bulletproof Outlaws to create League of Evil 2! BPO have been contracted to kick the graphics up to 11!

League of Evil 2 is building off the same engine with a proven formula of tight controls, short bite sized levels and fast action gameplay. We have totally revamped our graphics engine and are currently displaying some incredible hand illustrated animations that need to be seen to believe. All your favorite (or hated) enemies and hazards are back in the sequel as well as about a half a dozen new enemies and hazards. There will be over a hundred levels at launch spanning 5 environments.

We hope all our TA fans dig this sneak peek!

Also, if you aren't already familiar with first League of Evil: check the TA Forum thread!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BPO_Quickdraw

BPO_Quickdraw Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    http://bulletproofoutlaws.com/
    #2 BPO_Quickdraw, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    Hey guys! This is Jeff from Bulletproof Outlaws. Hope you dig the new art, we've paid careful attention to keeping the artistic design similar to League of Evil's pixel art as a nostalgic throwback to all the fans who loved the first game! It's been a blast to work on so far, and we're psyched to see what you all think of how the new art is looking!

- Jeff

3. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Looks pretty cool to me.

4. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I really like the art a lot, and will be a nice treat for sure, to me though, LoE has been almost entirely about the incredibly tight game play and superb level design. I look forward to seeing more of them same and neat additions in this one. Is the level editor still being considered? for launch? Also, are ghosts going to be in this one as well. LoE is my favorite platformer by far, and I hope this one can dethrone it.

5. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Looks awesome! Hope there is more effects tho blood and S***!

6. OneMinuteGames

OneMinuteGames Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    Heh, looks like League of Evil HD ;)

Quite nice "depixelise" of pixel-art... When release?

7. Pygmalion

Pygmalion Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Argh, I can't believe this is true. Terrible. Why no more pixel art?!?!?!

8. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    They've taken my favorite art style, and changed it into my favorite art style.
    Looking forward to it!

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This looks great. I do love pixel art, a huge nod to the old days BUT despite the change in art it does look very good i must admit.

BUT i would prefer some longer levels, i know you mention short bite sized levels but i would love some huge long levels with checkpoints, would love to see that with LoE 2

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Cripes. Count me in - even if the game isn't very good (which it will be) a lot of levels to replay and perfect sounds pretty awesome.

11. QBC

QBC Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    #11 QBC, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    While I'm sad to see the pixel art go (It had such character and I loved LOE's style!), this looks incredible!!

Although, a couple of thoughts I had:
    -If this is going to be a better graphics version of LOE with more content, I'd suggest adding more detail to the backgrounds to not make the screen so empty. Add flying machines in the back of the city, nights flickering on and off more details to the buildings, other 'neo-noir' type things (As I get that vibe from the city). EDIT: (I'm not sure how early into the game you are so I'm sorry if these are only preliminary backgrounds).

-I think LOE was really great at it's level design, and I remember having a lot of tight corners to traverse, which worked well, because the character was pixelated and easy to see where he could get hit. I hope LOE2 can do the same!

-How about an unlockable classic look? ;D

Just some thoughts, but I think the game looks great, and I'll buy it day one!

12. Pygmalion

Pygmalion Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I am so sad about the "new" look.

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Any new level setups and hazards? Boss fights?

14. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #14 Bad Hanson, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    New game/New look. Why do people moan to have another game they already have. I'd much rather have something a bit different- just so long as the dev's care about making a tight sequel and we all know ravenous won't disappoint there. I would also like to see some unexpected change ups in the new game some neat mechanical gadgetry might be fun even if only on bonus levels and I agree like the idea of some longer levels.

NB By mechanical gadgetry I mean more active platforms and dynamic staging. I wasn't suggesting they arm our commando...you see I say that and then I think about how cool three short-fuse grenade drops per level might be...

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah, though I loved the old look, this isn't bad and with 100 levels it's just awesome! Can't wait :)

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Aaawwwwwwwwww, yeaaaahhhhhhh!!! This is gonna be hecka awesome!!!

I personally really 'dig' those new graphics, as long as the animations are as smooth as LOE. I think it was a really smart move to switch to new graphics, as now the few people who didn't like LOE's retro style can now enjoy the game with new modern graphics.

Is the Level Editor mentioned in the LOE thread going to be in LOE2? if so, I think it would be a great addition to be able to either create levels in the retro LOE style AND in the new graphics style. Maybe you could have the retro level editing skin in an IAP?

Either way, I'm gonna buy this on day 1!

17. LuisRM

LuisRM Active Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Very exciting!

The first game was so great. I really didn't think I could beat the Impossible levels, but after a lot of dying I managed. I really would like to see stats. I don't believe they kept track of time played, or amount of times a level was played, deaths, etc. That would be a great feature to include. I'm just now starting Super Meat Boy on Xbox360, and it's scratching my itch until LOE2 comes out. Very exciting!

18. nobelak555

nobelak555 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    I think will be better if game's name will be League Of Evil HD that will be include completely new design and new worlds. :)

19. wilef

wilef Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Also sad about the missing pixel art. LoE is my favorite game ever so I'm sure this will be good too, but even with gorgeous graphics, it's just not my style.

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Same here I prefer the style of the first game over the cartoon look of the new screens.