I guess nintendo isn't going to release any iphone games at this point

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kita, May 25, 2009.

1. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    http://www.noheat.com/2007/06/18/nintendo-and-apple-to-partner-on-games-for-iphone/

I remember being super excited to hear about this partnership because games weren't on the iphone yet and the idea of using my finger as a stylus felt more intuitive and less clunkier for me. I wonder what happened? Maybe Nintendo sees apple as threat now because they are drawing in casual gamers who can buy cheap games 24/7 and get it instantly. Maybe they knew it would be very difficult to sell games for 30 bucks because people are more likely to impulsively buy a cheaper game and still get a lot of value out of it. Oh well. I do sometimes wish I could play games like Kirby Canvas Curse and Elite beat agents on my iphone though......................

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

this would be much better posted in the lounge, not a forum for SDK games that are out and available. this could even possibly go in the upcoming games, however it's a stretch. anywhere but in this forum

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Please note when this was posted: June 18, 2007

Also, random blog #457679839 is hardly a reliable source of information. ;)

4. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    LOL this is so sketchy

5. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    No there were many sites that reported about this during 2007 not just the one I linked

6. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

#6 jchampl, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    lmao, during 2007! do you really think this applies to right now? find an article from 2009 and we will talk about this.

ive got come stock tips about some stocks on the rise from 2007, should I follow those too? no? they would be outdated right? like this article.

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ignoring the fact that this was published two years ago, let me point out some gaping holes in the entry.

If you can’t beat them join them.

1) Apple isn't even on the same market 2) The app store wasn't even online until a year ago, Nintendo must have ESP or somethin'.

It was rumored a while back that Nintendo was planning on releasing a phone on their own, however this was scuttled shortly after the iPhone was first shown in January.

Nintendo? A phone? Really? We are talking about the ITSTAMARIO! Nintendo, right? And take a look at the blueprints for it, eh?

[​IMG]

It's a phone designed in 2001. It's got no relevancy now! The patent just got issue now, sure, but that doesn't mean anything. The Japanese powerhouse has always been focused on dedicated consoles.

Asked anonymously whether or not these games would cut into Nintendo DS sales, we heard a resounding no. The logic is that because the licensed games will be exclusive and cater to an older audience they should not intrude into Nintendo’s existing markets.

So they'll be telling developers what kind of games to make for their console/phone? I don't think it works that way.

Nevertheless Nintendo sees gaming on Mobile Smart Phones as a threat to their core business and a partnership with Apple could be seen as a bold move into a very profitable market.

Phone ≠ Gaming Console

One thing is for sure Nintendo should expect to share in the marketing spotlight of the iPhone in the same way that AT&T has.

Nintendo needs marketing? AT&T I can see, cuz they're a crappy network, but Mario, Metroid, Link, Donkey Kong, and Kirby needing marketing?! Get a stadium full of people, play a clip going "Pika-Pika!" on the speakers, over 80% of the people there will know who it is.

[​IMG]

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I hate Nintendo. Everything from their inaccurate Wii Fit, their crappy little DS to their stupid Nintendo Dogs or Brain Training :mad:
    And don't get me started on pokemon.
    (Although it was good in the 1990's)

9. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    the game i really want is mario cart but im pretty sure that will never happen

10. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Of course Nintendo will develop for the iPhone. It will happen the same day Apple release OSX for all PCs and start shipping Macs with Windows pre-installed.

11. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

i actually emailed nintendo about four months ago and they replied quite quickly saying they had no intention of releasing any of thier titles on the iPhone/iPod Touch as they wanted to focus on the Wii and the DS families.

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    This topic is truly deserving of this:

[​IMG]

13. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Why don't people get that Apple is Nintendo's rival, just like Sony? Or are they just not kept up to date on things like that?

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It's not really about being "Nintendo's rival"

In fact, Apple and Nintendo aren't "rivals" at all...at least not directly.

They are in very different markets. Nintendo's DS is NOT in direct competition with iTouch/Phone as the former is a portable game system in the portable game market, and the latter is a mobile platform in the mobile market. There's quite a bit of a difference, akin to the video game home console market not being in direct competition with the PC market.

What people don't get, really, is that Nintendo does not make games for anything other than Nintendo hardware regardless of the fact that other hardware may not be in direct competition with their home and portable game systems. It's been that way since NES. This is very different from other past and present home and portable game hardware manufacturers like Sega, Sony, and MS who have all made games for mobiles and PC. Nintendo wants consumers to buy Nintendo hardware in order to play Nintendo games. And that's the real thing they have in common with Apple, as Apple sells hardware by pushing the ease of their OS and other software. But they aren't "rivals", really, as they operate in different markets.