Best way to spread the Plague?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Samuraipeter, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Samuraipeter

Samuraipeter Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    After working as an Artist, Animator, and Level Designer on other people's ios games, I'm gonna try and make my own - Plague: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peterwhite/plague

The trick seems to be getting noticed, and I would love to hear from some devs who were successful at getting attention. Where did you post? Did you buy ad space? What worked and didn't work for you?
    Thanks!

2. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    If getting noticed is the trick, you're off to a great start. Asking about the best way to spread the Plague is a clever way of turning heads [it certainly got my attention, and tickled me after I read further!].

A lot of talk goes on about ad marketing in here and everything that can be said has already been said.

However, some of it is still worth repeating. A good example that really gets to the heart of it would be here http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG%2EBiz/IDMT+news/feature.asp?c=38732

Marketing for indie titles is still very much about getting your boots on the ground and being excited, and giving some preferential treatment to the folks who still serve as gatekeepers. After all, excitement, much ilke the Plague, is contagious :D

Best of luck on the Kickstarter! Looks like a great project.

3. Samuraipeter

May 30, 2010
    Thanks a lot for the helpful feedback Nullroar!

4. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    #4 Nullroar, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    No problem. I'm a project backer now so make this game suitably awesome!

Also, give us a link to tweet about the project! :D

5. Samuraipeter

May 30, 2010
    Thanks for helping me again! Uhh, I'm not the best 'Tweeter', but I think this is the link: http://kck.st/zXuoCd via @kickstarter

6. Endair

Endair Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Was it difficult to setup a project on Kickstarter? How many impressions you have on your site?

7. Samuraipeter

May 30, 2010
    Hello Endair,
    As far as setting up the Kickstarter project, it was just a matter of making my video, writing my pitch, and coming up with some rewards. Since I had already started on making the game, I had some materials to work with.
    The hard part is getting it noticed. That seems to be the problem of most everyone who uses Kickstarter - one little blurb on the front page of a site like Touch Arcade would get you noticed/funded, but that doesn't usually happen unless you've already made a game of note, and in that case you don't need the publicity.
    You have to get lucky, and you don't get lucky unless you roll the dice and take your chances!
    Peter

8. Endair

Endair Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    So I wish your dices to roll happy :).
    I was asking about the notice part - Kickstarter doesn't promote your project anyhow? News, buzz etc.?

9. Samuraipeter

May 30, 2010
    They do have Staff Picks and things like that, so there is a chance you could get a bit of promotion if your project was chosen.