Universal The Quest Keeper

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tysonibele, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tysonibele

tysonibele Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2014
    #1 tysonibele, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    UPDATE: The Quest Keeper is out now! Grab it here: https://itunes.apple.com/app/the-quest-keeper/id970721313

I'm working on a FREE game called 'The Quest Keeper' for iOS (universal) and Android. It will be out in the next few weeks.

The object of the game is to complete a series of quests given to you by the title character, in order to collect of bunch of long-lost, ancient artifacts. You can collect coins along the way that can be used to upgrade your character and protect you from the dangers that lie ahead.

The game is still a work in progress, although it currently features 11 unique quests, a wide variety of character upgrades, and endless, procedural, dungeon crawling fun :)

The controls are simple: simply swipe in the direction you'd like to travel, and try to avoid the obstacles and pitfalls along the way. In that sense the controls are similar to those seen in 'Crossy Road', with one exception - you will continue walking in whatever direction you choose until you hit an obstacle. This adds an extra layer of strategy that requires players to time their moves even more carefully.

Here are screenshots from the game! The style is reminiscent of my game Zombox, because this game is being made while I take a short break from Zombox development :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    #2 kopicha, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    nice graphics and I really like the lighting effect. Very cute art there too. :) Do you walk endlessly moving from 1 zone to another or that is a start and end point for each stage?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Pacman-ish roguelite? Im all in!

4. williamsyee

williamsyee Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    The graphic looks really nice! Maybe a proper gameplay video?

5. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Yea I'll upload some footage soon!

In the meantime, here's the game's icon.

[​IMG]

6. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I can capture some footage, if you want. My crossy road hs is 509, so mad skills yo :D

7. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Looks cool!

8. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    This game looks awesome. I have to say though I've never heard of Zombox and now I am super intrigued. Basically can I TestFlight both of these games? Haha. :cool:

9. jeanreno

jeanreno Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow, I can't wait for this one! Reminds me of Legend of Dungeon and Zombox graphically. :)

edit: Oh you're the Zombox dev! Haha, can't wait for that game too!

10. m_pad

m_pad Member

Jan 17, 2015
    good job

it looks a bit to frantic for me, but you´re doing a good job with the gameplay, the interaction and the whole concept itself.

11. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    This week I worked on fixing a ton of bugs, adding tons of new features, and increasing the visual fidelity of all the quests :)

A couple of major changes are: getting distance in the game world slowly unlocks a 'mystery chest' which can contain items, quests or coins. So even if you lose you still make progress towards unlocking something new!

[​IMG]

Also there are random 'revive' blocks through the game world that, when triggered, will revive you after you die for a modest number of coins. So they act as sort of 'quick-save' points that allow you to recover from death.

[​IMG]

Here are some examples of the improved biomes....lots of new details and obstacles have been added!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. firstordergames

firstordergames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Full of awesome, this one.

13. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    really look sweet :)

14. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    I honestly cannot wait for this game, a MASSIVE grin spread across my face whilst looking at those pics! I'm thinking this'll get editors choice, 5 star TA review and a 5 star review of me... And it may even be better than Crossy road!
    Keep up the good work guys, can't wait for the next update and God I cannot WAIT to beta test this game! (If you're doing it that Is...)

15. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    This looks really cool! Even though I like rpgs where you level up and can
    actually see your hero improving, this looks fun to play.

When you get back to Zombox, I will be waiting for the release.
    It's on my list of top ten games in development.

Thanks

16. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for the high praise, Takeo! Hopefully the game can live up to your expectations :)

Technically there are some RPG elements, although obviously the game is not a fully fledged RPG. You can upgrade your character's clothing/armor/wand, and each artifact you return to the Quest Keeper grants you a half-heart of extra HP. Every full-heart of HP gives you extra defense against in-game obstacles. So, over time with upgrades and artifacts you can get a pretty strong character to make really far progress in the main endless quest.

17. Takeo_Masaki

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    1. No, thank you (for this game!)
    2. YOU HAVE A WAND????!!!!!?????!!!!!

P.s I don't know why the quote isn't grey, it's probably because I edited it...

18. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Haha, yea you can swap out your shoes/shirt/torch for all kinds of other things. As of this weekend's dev work there are currently 45 different equippable items in-game. Each has a unique benefit to the player...protecting you from obstacles, affecting the environment, affecting your strength, etc. Some are more practical like wands that auto-open nearby chests or expose loose blocks, or armor that protects from blades, etc. Some are just fun like the bat suit or bunny costume :)

19. Takeo_Masaki

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Nice... (Another large grin spreads across his face)

20. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    All I can say is: WOW!