Solenoid (working title) alpha preview

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ChaoticBox, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Been working on this on and off since early 2012, but just recently nailed down a look. The game is basically a 3-lane "runner" but uses a unique (I think?) control scheme where you tap and hold on the left or right to move into the left/right lanes, then release (or hold both sides) to snap back to the middle. Kind of a magnetic/rubber-band deal. This gives you a lot more control than typical swipe or tilt schemes and in turn the game can throw stuff at you much faster ;)

solenoid_alpha_teaser.jpg

More obstacles, powerups, and even mini bosses are implemented but still lack proper artwork and polish so I disabled them for this first video. Hope to have more to show soon! Cheers.

2. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I'm really enjoying how this is looking already. The flat shaded polygons + blur + parallax is really quite nice.

3. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Look a little hard to play (maybe give more space for player to dodge) but i like control, run smoothly.

4. Raimon Zamora

Raimon Zamora New Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Videogames developer
    Alcasser (Valencia), Spain
    I second Colin. Also, the control scheme you described sounds interesting!

5. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    This is more an arcade-twitch game than a casual runner, but that video begins well into a run - it starts out much slower ;) Powerups and other obstacles help you out (and slow you down) along the way as well. I'll post more videos as those features are polished up.

Cheers Colin & Raimon - Spent a couple weeks working on that look, but literally took a year of failures to get to that point!