Peter and the Mysterious Mud - entry for IGMC 2015, now free for iOS!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kaemalux, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Kaemalux

Kaemalux Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    GP Doctor
    Hello!

I am a newbie developer and this is my really first experience about developing a game.
    Peter and the Mysterious Mud is a small game i created from scratch for IGMC 2015, the submission was for Windows, but i took the chance to understand the whole process involved in submitting an app to App Store and so i made a version for iOS.

The game is short and totally free to play, and it has bugs of course (even if i changed critical issues from IGMC entry)!

If you want to try it, here is the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/peter-and-the-mysterious-mud/id1040098043?mt=8

Of course, every impression or opinion are very welcome!

Kaem

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009

Peter and The Mysterious Mud

Peter needs your help!
    Usually he spends his time eating, playing and spotting naked girls... But today our self-ce…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Peter needs your help!
    Usually he spends his time eating, playing and spotting naked girls... But today our self-centered, uncaring hero (???) will be annoyed by some duties...
    Forced by his father to seek his missing brother, he will be involved in a crazy, funny, stressing adventure!
    You will guide him through strange villagers, creepy places, funny monsters... And maybe he will grow up a bit!

This little game is an entry for Indie Game Making Contest 2015: if you want to support me, and you liked the story, please vote "Peter and the Mysterious Mud" at:
    http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/114#.VdYCHFPtmkp
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Role Playing
    Release:Sep 25, 2015
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

3. Kaemalux

Kaemalux Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    GP Doctor
    #3 Kaemalux, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    EDIT: Sorry, i didn't understand at all! Thanks a lot. ^_^

4. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    Kaem, drelbs just did a post for you in the typical Touch Arcade forum format to better show the iTunes details about your game. It's not that he can't download it (at least I think that's the case). It was a nice thing for him to do. There's a tool here somewhere to help a developer do that but I can't find the link right now. Touch Arcade has a format for a developer to introduce his game and drelbs was helping you out.

Downloading Peter. :)

5. Kaemalux

Kaemalux Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    GP Doctor
  6. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    Touch Arcade is a wonderful forum for mobile games and it has different places for different things. This is the place for released ios games. There's also a place for ios games in development.

And there is a place for Android games----you might want to list Peter and the Mysterious Mud there as well. : )

http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Follow the format other developers have used there to post their game with a link to the google play store.

7. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    I tried the Android version on my Oneplus One.

My first thought was the phone really heated up which is not uncommon but only really happens with some intense resource usage (which this simple pixel pushing game should not be doing). So my first thought is to maybe look at optimizing the game a bit. I see it is made with Unity so I don't really know what kind of profiling tools they have to use.

My second thought was the interface is confusing. My third thought was that I have no idea where I should be going. My fourth thought was that there is an awful lot of text to read.

Confusing interface and lack of direction stem from no real tutorialisation for the player. It just drops me and I have to work everything out. I think if things were introduced in small hunks and I could learn each thing then I would be fine.

The too much text thing is a bother when trying to get to grips with the game. I guess it isn't overly bad if you are deeper in the game but when it's straight up when you are trying to work out what to do it gets frustrating.

Overall this is a great rookie effort. Keep learning :)

8. Kaemalux

Kaemalux Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    GP Doctor
    Thanks, really thanks a lot Rogue. :)

You advice are really precious, they will be totally useful for a newbie developer like me. I will try to improve the game following each of your suggestion!

Actually, you gave me lot of things to look about, i really appreciated it!

If it is not too much to ask, have you any opinion / feedback? Even if you didn't finish it, and dialogues were too long (you were totally right, i need to reduce them, at least at start...), did you enjoy it?

Thanks again, have a nice day! :)

9. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    I found it had a lot of charm and an interesting retro style. I wandered around for a long time interacting with the world and people but just felt so lost and aimless. I went into the mud structure in the middle of town but didn't find anything that let me know what I should be doing. I think with some more direction given to the player this could be quite a nice game. I would be very open to playing a more design refined version of Peter and the Mysterious Mud.

10. Kaemalux

Kaemalux Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    GP Doctor
    #10 Kaemalux, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    I already got that input from someone else, and i am deeply thinking about it. ^^ A better version with all the improvements you listed (and other changes) with a deeper story and a better difficult scaling (the game was made for the contest in a 1-hour playable way, so it was like a rush through fights).
    I am really sorry you got lost following the story, i thought it was clear, but surely my mistake was in placing indication through those long/boring dialogues... However, if you want to go on with the storyline, next location to visit is always reported in guide section (main menu - diary/paper icon) besides the end of dialogue, so (even if not properly show, i must admit it...) it is always available for the player.
    To guide you through first part, the story starts at the orange house and then go on in mine. If you want to go on, just keep an eye about the icon showed in dialogues, it is the clue about next location.

Thanks again for your time, i really appreciated it. :)