Suggestions on SDK for developing 2D puzzle game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gust0208, Dec 14, 2011.

1. gust0208

gust0208 Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I have been lurking and research for quite a while and decided to try and develop a basic, but hopefully usable, 2D puzzle game in the Picross genre as a personal project.

My question is that I have read about 3 different SDK's that seem to be used widely and wanted to see if anyone could share their experiences or pros / cons.

The 3 I am looking at are:
    Unity
    cocos2D
    Corona

Unity seems to be the enormous powerhouse of the group, but most of the tutorial / documentation seems focused on 3D gaming. cocos2D is nice that it is free and the particle system seems quite robust, but likely less support with the free price tag. Corona seems nice given it is 2D focused with quite a bit of documentation / examples.

Thanks for taking a read and sharing any thoughts before I jump in with both feet!

Cheers,
    Tom

2. jhspaybar

jhspaybar Active Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I've used all 3, and you should use cocos2d. If you were going for another type of game Unity might be an option, but I feel you should only use Corona if you are specifically targeting multi-platform from the start(you shouldn't). I tried to make Corona work, but it's full of memory leaks and in my opinion, lua is just a much more difficult language to keep everything organized in. It's great for scripting, it's not that great to define an entire game and all the classes you plan to use.

Oh, and I honestly think Cocos2D has better support than Corona. Zynga recently hired the creator of Cocos2D, and they are using it in all their games. Sure, you might not talk to some support tech on the other end of a phone call(you won't be making those to Cocos2d), but I think it is far better supported, and their forums are amazing.

3. As the previous reply said, the support you can get for Cocos2d is awesome due to the amount of people using it and active on their forums. Just google what you want to know and almost certainly there will be an answer.

The tools available are also great (Tiled, TexturePacker, Particle Editor). For a 2d puzzle game that would be my choice easily.

4. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Cocos2d. No contest really. Unity is an overkill and cumbersome. Never tried Corona, but I find it hard to believe it can be any better than Cocos ;)

5. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Corona all the way. Super easy to use, extremely fast/efficient, very friendly community, very frequent sdk updates, and cross platform without any work (iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, B&N, Mac App Store coming in early 2012 too)!

6. magic-whale

magic-whale Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Developer
    Poland
    Lua a difficult language? Bi*ch please ;)
    It's one of the easiest to learn/master.
    Cocos 2d is more difficult, and you end up writing a lot more code :)
    Memory leaks from corona are due to bad programing.
    The support is also great, and they update it constantlynvia daily builds.

7. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Cocos2d, Period!

8. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I used to like Corona, but I've soured on their yearly subscription model. If you don't renew, your old investment is worthless. You can't use it to develop any more. I'd suggest Unity or Cocos2D. At least with Unity, if I don't upgrade to their latest professional version, I can still use the older version I bought. If you're looking at the long term and possibly getting into the industry, I think Unity will serve you better than Cocos2D. Unity can build for virtually any platform under the sun, there's a free version, and the community is very helpful.

9. jhspaybar

jhspaybar Active Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Sorry, but no, I tracked back the memory leaks to calls into their C functions. I reported it on their forums, and a bug tracking issue was created. I'm sure it's been fixed by now, but frankly I don't like the style of "fake" OOP that Lua entails, and their C functions aren't bullet proof(or weren't when I tried it this summer).

And, Lua is VERY easy, using it to create a well formatted large project...well...that's another story. I guess my beef is that I really don't like how Lua fakes being OOP(it's not).

10. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    I easily use Lua in very large scale projects. Each lua file is treated as a "class" and it works out perfectly :) Super organized, everything is easily readable, and their SDK really is pretty bulletproof these days. :) I can't imagine using anything else anymore! The speed of making apps is a huge advantage for me too! There's so much stuff that you don't have to worry about, and everything that you'd need to make a game has extremely easy API calls.

11. jhspaybar

jhspaybar Active Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Do they have support for spritesheets yet? Or is that still an external library that only sort of works?

12. pkMinhas

pkMinhas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Cocos 2d: Free, easy to learn, completely in Obj C, very easy to add any kind of functionality to the app since you are developing as a native app

Unity3D: Awesome for 3D, can port the game to diff. platforms easily, easy to use, expensive (min 400$ for iOS license)

Corona: No idea.

13. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    Yeah, sprite sheets work flawlessly. I personally use Zwoptex to generate the sheets, and then it's literally drag and drop. You can also use other sprite sheet programs to generate the sheets, or you could make a sprite within Corona using their sprite API itself, although it's much easier to use a 3rd party program to generate the sheets (it's always easier to do this in any language, not just in Corona).

14. jhspaybar

jhspaybar Active Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Doing more looking at corona it was all looking solid until I saw that it needed ios 4.3 or newer. That's a show stopper IMO.

15. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    That was literally added to their SDK yesterday via a daily build. You can always use the "stable build" from 1 week ago, and that'll give you 3.1.3 I believe. Stable builds come every 3-4 months, so you can always use that for older firmwares. From their blog post about it yesterday, I think it was something like 88% of people are on a higher firmware than that? That's good enough for me. I'd rather have them come out with new features instead of worrying about support for devices that are a few years old.

16. gust0208

gust0208 Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Wow, thank you everyone for the replies and feedback on the pros / cons of the three.

I think I will start with reading more of the tutorials of Cocos2D and Corona. In general, I get the feeling that Cocos2D is on top with Unity running a close second and many people happy with Corona.

And apologies for ignoring the thread for a few days, it was a by-product of having our first baby on the 16th!

Cheers,
    Tom

17. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Congrats on tht sweet gift sent by God :)
    This thread made me also see somethings I kept ignoring so Thanks :D