iPhone Combat Monsters

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rubicon, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Hi all, just made a blog post about our latest creation, which is a couple of months away.

We'll be doing a public alpha/beta in a month or two, so hopefully we can round up a few testers here. Can't wait to start getting some real player feedback once the multiplayer is working!

http://www.rubicondev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1464

[​IMG]

2. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    nice! loved your other grid based strategy games! this one seems to have a cool theme too!! excited.

3. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Looks cool, Paul....looking forward to it!

4. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Good to hear, time for some testing when the time comes?

5. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Looks great,will keep checking back for when Beta is available.

Prays and well wishes to those lost in Marathon.

6. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    I would love to get in on testing. I've tested a good few turn based strategy games on ios and android. I was always a big fan of GLWG/GBWG (bought all three on both platforms) but was hoping for something more serious from Rubicon.

I'll be eagerly awaiting your beta invite ;-)

7. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Nice one, and thanks for your previous custom.

Trust me, this is "more serious". :)

One of the audiences we're targeting here is all the people who buy digital ccg type games (right up to magic online) and sigh as they see yet another really nice 2D picture on a flat card waggling at the enemy. When we all know you want to see 3D monsters spinning round in the air and hurling fireballs at each other!

We've invested a metric ton of dev time in this, taking on board all feedback from existing customers etc., and we intend this to be our breakout game not just for now but forever.

That's not to say it's for only genre purists here either. We're coating on plenty of the usual rubicon silliness and self mockery too. :)

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I am very excited for this!
    Will stay tuned for beta info.
    I'm a big fan of CCG's, Any strategy card game, and board game. This looks like its going to bring something completely new to ios. Will you also bring this to iphone? Pllsssssss?

9. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    Well this game which came out of nowhere made it tommy top 10 most anticipated list... Thanks for the info. How far along is development?

10. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    It will run on the iPhone. I can't promise it won't be a bit fiddly, but we're doing all we can to keep it playable on such a small screen.

Android, BB10, PC and Win8 versions are all coming and you can share an account between all of the above in any combination you like.

Dev time wise it's had a team of 5-7 guys working on it for 9 months already, so this is a big investment for us that we're taking very seriously indeed. I'm hoping we can get an early alpha out to the public in about a month, but tbh that's fairly optimistic and we don't want to rush anything.

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Awesome! So excited for this. Knowing the level of polish you guys put in, this will be amazing I'm sure.

12. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Thanks, we're certainly trying our best. :)

13. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
  14. Twenty One

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    #14 Twenty One, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Thanks, Paul!

Could you give us a little more info on gameplay mechanics? Kinda looks like a "3D" version of Hero Academy which would be AWESOME!

Love the fact that you are offering both synchronous and asynchronous along with turn timers.....very important stuff right there.

Thanks again for the hard work and interaction with the community here as always....really nice to see how much involvement you have with getting feedback, etc as well as the transparency you present with your work.

Really looking forward to another fun, challenging and polished strategy game from the Rubicon team!

15. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Thanks bud. There is a brief description of the game buried in our mostly unread blog here: http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/combat-monsters-so-what-is-it-anyway-and-why-do-i-want-it/

Hero Academy in 3D comes close I guess, but we won't be pushing that angle as there's a ton more stuff going on in here too.

We've learned a lot of from our G*WG series, and from our competitors, and we're trying to make this the biggest, best and most generally bad-assed game it can be. There's been about 5 man years of development gone into this so far - it's our biggest gamble yet and a major risk for a self-funded indie team.

16. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
  17. Twenty One

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    #17 Twenty One, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    Looks GREAT, Paul...Thanks as always!

I will admit that I never have and never will play CCG because of the lame "combat" part as you mentioned in your blog....HOWEVER this looks really unique and AWESOME!

Really looking forward to helping with the beta....keep up the good work!

18. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Thanks muchly, we certainly feel it's unique atm. Of course the timing's a bit off given Mojangs imminent release of something close.

We feel we have that licked and I can't wait to see if real people agree, but I also know which one of us is going to win the publicity battle. :eek:

19. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Wow the trailer had me SOLD..It's no surprise coming from rubicon..
    I hope I can get to test this...

Btw with the impending face-off against mojang..Im on team rubicon :D...

20. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Great stuff. Three of us vs the world... :)