Just got the new Apple Tv... :(

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coolpepper43, Dec 9, 2015.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #1 coolpepper43, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    I just got the new Apple Tv and it's sort of a disappointment. So far, I do not like the new remote. I think the scrolling doesn't feel right. Also, some of the games that I tried so far are completely not playable with that thing. I was also surprised that with my huge collection of apps/games 5000+ only 80 of them were on the Apple Tv store. It looks like a lot of devs want you to rebuy the apps/games to get the Apple Tv version. I was hoping the new Apple Tv would be great to have at my parents so we could all play games with each other. However, now I'm not so sure.

Update... I just installed to the newest firmware and it's a better experience and I'm slightly more satisfied. It's strange that I never got anything prompting me that an update was available. Also, after I updated, more games showed up on my purchase list and now I'm at 98 apps. After the update and a change in the settings the touch remote is more responsive.

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Apple is entirely to blame for this. Instead of doing it successfully like with the iPhone to iPad transition where all iPhone games will run with black bars, Apple bars games from being allowed onto Apple TV until their developers recode their games to add in Apple Remote support. That has resulted in that ridiculous situation where you had 5K games and 80 working for you and like 5 games or so working for me out of my lost count of k games.

Me too. Only found out about it by trawling the internet for news of any kind by myself.

By the way, if you are considering getting an MFi controller, you might want to hold off. I bought the Nimbus and was shocked at the number of games that just doesn't work with MFi controller at all. Apple got it backwards again. If anything, they should have forced developers to add in MFi support by default and Apple Remote support optional.

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you!
    I already have an MFI controller.

4. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    It is incredible how much Apple botched the release of the new Apple TV. I have one and it definitely isn't something you get for the gaming aspect when it really could have been awesome for that. Amazon actually handled the release of the new Fire TV better because of the focus they put on gaming by releasing an official controller. As it is with the Apple TV, with how poorly supported gaming is on it, why would you get the Apple TV over a Roku or the aforementioned Fire TV?