Seeking Birthday Gift Ideas for Spouse, Quick!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by undeadcow, Mar 28, 2014.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Hey,

My wife is turning 31 Sunday and I've got her some presents but nothing that reqlly stands out as fun and unique. Any ideas? She doesn't like video games, and I'd orefer to avoid cliche stuff like a spa massage or jewlery.

Guys - What's the most successful birthday gift you've given?
    Girls - Any favorite gift ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! [...oh, and please don't tell my wife how stumped I am]

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    If you have children, how about taking them out for the day and giving your wife a day to herself to lay in bed, plod around the house in her pjs etc, my husband did that for me few years ago and it was great to just do nothing. I'm not one for massages and facials and all that flumf.

Tickets to a concert? Or theatre show? She could take a mate if it's not something you're into.

3. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    #3 niebau, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Just stumbled upon your post while reviewing the comments and suggestions for Kingturn / Tactics Maiden :).

Here are two ideas:

1) Do something together with her which you (or both of you) would normally not do. For instance, visit an origami course, go to a bull riding competition, or listen to a public lecture about 'emergency measurements in case of an alien attack'.
    This doesn't (and probably shouldn't) have to be on her birthday, of course.
    A corresponding gift card should do the trick.
    Even if this event turns out to be a disaster, there's still a good chance for a fond memory of this day, if both of you take it with humor.

2) Promise her to get rid of the one thing / habit that is annoying her most about you.
    Should it be your activity on touch arcade, you might want to consider your second most annoying habit instead, of course :).

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I've been married for 29 years so this is my advice for success.

FIRST - DO NOT forget to get her a card. No matter how much they may deny it, the only thing they will remember is the time you forgot the card.

Dinner at a either unique, or semi- fancy restaurant - dress up - at least a coat and tie, so she can get dressed up, then take her dancing - she will love it.

DONT FORGET the card. Good luck!

5. Since I think you are a cool guy undeadcow, I will suggest this.

Baby turtles. I just recently got two baby turtles as a gift from someone, they cost like $5 including the plastic aquarium, are fun, like having a pet, and are easy to upkeep.

Take care undeadcow, hopefully you will consider two mini pet turtles. I like them.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks to everyone for their input, I really appreciate it.
    I ended up going with tickets to a Sarah McLachlan concert and an assortment of teas/coffees from different regions of the world. The concert suggestion was great; it turns out luckily Sarah McLachlan just started a US tour and my wife is a fan so that was convenient. I don't think I would have looked into it without this comment.
    That's a sweet idea, maybe for our anniversary.
    Hey! The concert is a few hours away in a town we used to live in so might be a fund road trip adventure with some good memories. Bring on Tactics Maiden! Thanks for the input.
    [Crap, it's her birthday and I did not get a card]
    Baby turtles are good; but they're also suppose to be illegal to sell in the United States. My wife had a baby turtle that died from some weird shell fungus and it seemed impossibly fraile, I think they eat bugs but we struggled to get it the right food and a vet was little help. It's a great idea, but maybe not with that history. http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/spotlight_an_turtles.htm

7. Thanks Undeadcow! Yeah, didn't know any of that, but they are really cute, but yeah, guess they have to constantly be kept clean with new water, and handled well. They are cute though.

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Concerts are great as well.

Check out Eva Cassidy albums - to me similar singing styles and ranges - soulful, haunting.

Glad you had a successful birthday, but you will pay for no card forever. :p

9. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #9 mrbiggles, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    a great day

wife always loves the surprise fancy dinner, concert/play the best!!! :) otherwise a car trip to a nearby state (2hr drive max) to see the sites, take in an intimate concert, dinner and stay at a relaxing hotel with pool etc.

and to top it off consider next time buying her some sexy lingerie and stockings that you like...mabe some toys for her to play with, wine and roses.

setup: before you leave run back in the house like you forgot something, put the roses on the bed, lingerie box in the bathroom for her to find and have the wine ready too!

end of night: then when you get home you can bust open the wine to get in that relaxed mood, next step hit the bed room to find the roses on the bed. she'll be super happy. then if you have that master bathroom in your bedroom she'll head there next to find the lingerie box. most likely come out with that on with a smile on her face. (there are tons of stuff u can do like massage oils, eye mask, tickler etc) then if she's bit kinky pre-put the toys on the bed for her to see and pop on the video camera...have a sweet night! :D

10. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I would absolutely hate this idea, the night out and everything is fine but if on our return home I found this set up last thing I'd be is super happy, I'd feel a bit cheated if I'm honest, like all the other stuff only happened because husband wanted leg over. My two friends are with me and they both said they'd be pissed off too unless they had requested sex toys for a gift, which they wouldn't, they'd buy their own.

11. Maybe that is how Mr Biggles got his name. For the size of his toys.

12. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #12 mrbiggles, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    These are just options, as it depends on the woman... you should know your relationship if she is a bit stuffy like a log or likes lingerie and is playful fun.
    (mabe was the sex toys - what kind depends on you; from simple oils to dressup)

I don't see anything wrong with roses, wine and lingerie (and adding in massage oils and candles as an extra) my wife loved it.

If you would have feel cheated then I guess you don't love and value sex in your relationship as a loving daily activity ;) and might be out of tune with your body or the enjoyment of sex.

At least you have a an option for HIS birthday ;) next time!

13. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    nah wide enough :p and toys doesn't mean dillo's :rolleyes: there are a ton of stuff from oils, ticklers, dressup stuff etc.

14. Sure. I understand perfectly.