Descent: one old school game I'd love to see on iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dww970, Sep 15, 2009.

1. dww970

dww970 Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Day job: Home Depot Tool Rental Tech. Night Job: I
    louisville, Ky
    Anyone remember Parallax/Interplay's old game Descent?
    As a kid I had every level memorized. Porting it would create too many copyright issues but I wish there was a great clone of it for the Iphone... :(

2. intangbl

intangbl Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Yes Descent would be awesome!

I also want Qix (the real one) and while we are talking old games how about Magic carpet!

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Lol, I remember that game. I remember making people nauseous watching me play it.

4. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    It's possible. I seem to recall the source code getting open sourced (not Descent 3, though) at some point. But I think that's ONLY the code. You need to own the actual game if you want the original Descent maps/levels.

5. #5 Mindfield, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    It's possible ... but exactly how would you handle flying around in 6 degrees of freedom with no buttons? It was enough fun learning to fly the thing with a keyboard (though I did manage to get good at it). Part of the fun of Descent was precisely that 6DOF you got playing the game; in fact, combat with other bots would be a lot more difficult if you sacrificed some of the movement freedom for the sake of cramming it into an iDevice.

I just can't see it being doable, control-wise. Yes, you could use tilt controls for pitch and roll, but combine that with dual sticks for vertical and horizontal sliding, plus yaw, thrust, reverse, primary and secondary fire, and chaff, would just be too damn confusing and move the screen around too much to pay attention to the action.