Nyrthos: New RPG by BeerDeer Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Jan 10, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Saw this on PocketGamer, which did a short preview that included a call for beta testers. I signed up for it, and they contacted me and asked if I would help them get some coverage on TA. My guess is that some folks around here might be interested ;).

Here's the press release:

Here are a few images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's as much as I know right now. I'm sending this link to the devs -- hopefully they'll post and add more info.

2. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Wow, these graphics are beautiful, and it really reminds me of the golden days of Baldur's Gate!! :) I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one!! Thanks for sharing.

3. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    See...this is what I'm f'n talking about. Hell yeah!!! See if you can get the devs to come on over to TA!

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    They are making a RPG to be compatible with "web browser"? There is a multi-paragraph description that does not specify gameplay style? I am not inspired to confidence yet. Will this be turn based, action/KRPG, or other?

5. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Based on the description it sounds like it will look like Zenonia but will be a bit less linear while still being linear. So... it knid of sounds like a 2D Dungeon Hunter 1/2 (or Diablo clone) with "every hero will also be given the opportunity to buy a house, establish his own village, manage it, gain more income resources and honor, and, in the end, be able to progress even further in the game."

I'm super excited about this game from the description, but I definitely understand why your confidence is shaky. There are so many things that could potentially ruin this game, which is why I signed up for the beta ASAP!

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I lied!!!

I did some looking around the website and this seems to be more along the lines of an actual RPG. I'm going to fully read everything, bu by the looks of things they could turn the aRPG into RPG, which would be awesome in my opinion; especially since I really dislike the term aRPG.

7. relaxgod

relaxgod Member

Dec 16, 2010
  8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly what i thought ! Love the look of the graphics, hope its a huge non-linear world. Either way its exciting to follow this one

9. trundley

trundley Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    The lighting looks pretty neat on those darker levels. Hopefully there will be lights that cut through the fog?

10. Nyrthos

Nyrthos Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Hi from the Devs

Hi guys,

I am one of the devs of Nyrthos. I got a message from squarezero that the post is up. He is obviously "no zero", as we like to say in Czech Republic :) Thank you for putting it up!

To all of you, thank you for your kind words. It feels great when people talk about our game, and even much better when they seem to like it :)

In case you have any questions, I will try to answer them here. We dont have our own forum up, so it will be a great opportunity to get to know you!

See ya,
    Martin

11. Nyrthos

Nyrthos Member

Jan 10, 2012
    "and then, with a giant roar, the world shook, all hell broke loose and now.. I am here!" :D

12. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Sweetness! I'm unpatiently waiting to see if I will get in the beta. When do you think we'll know if we got in or not?

13. Nyrthos

Nyrthos Member

Jan 10, 2012
    #13 Nyrthos, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    Well, the whole buzz around our game is kind of.. surprising :) We already have like 400 people subscribed already, which is just unbelieveable as noone actually knew about Nyrthos like 4 days ago. You guys rule!

We wanted to have "some people" in the beta, so we decided to make a simple form on our site already, just in case there is someone interested, and now we are pretty shocked by what is happening.

Well whatever, that was not the question I guess :D We would like to spread the beta as wide as we possibly can. It is scheduled for Q1 of 2012, we will let you know if you were chosen right when it goes live.

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Not a fan of RPGs, but that looks beautiful!

15. Turkeydipking

Turkeydipking Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Student
    Germany
    This looks fantastic! Oh boy will I be keeping an eye on this thread, yes yes!
    Dear Dev, if you had to describe this game using only other games, what would it be?

(e.g. Diablo/Zelda/Dungeon Hunter)

Just want to see what this is like or what it's similar to ^^

16. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Hahaa...I love it and welcome!

I read though everything on the site and this seems to be a mash up of three types of games: Diablo, Dragon Age origins, and Fable. I spread it pretty far due to not actually having played the game yet. But if this is the case...:eek: and YAY!

Everything on the site looks fantastic and this is my pre-release obsession for iOS...sorry to all other devs! It just so happens that my pre-release obsession for PC is Diablo 3. D3 would be my console obsession, but it'll be releasing on the current consoles instead of next gens. However, I did like DA on console more than PC.

Anyways, sorry for the off topic.

I really hope I get in the beta. You'll recognize my application because it's the really long one, or it at least felt really long in the box.

I'm thinking that this might be the game that finally knocks King of Dragon Pass out of my #1 spot for iOS games.

17. Nyrthos

Nyrthos Member

Jan 10, 2012
    A Word from Nyrthos

Well, if one thinks about hack n slash, he thinks about the Diablo series, and on the PC, we would like that to be pretty similar. We also loved some gameplay elements that Gothic / Risen had and which we want to incorporate.

Still, please note that we are talking in terms of flash, internet browser and mobile devices. Is is sometimes pretty hard and sometimes impossible to do some stuff. But were working really hard to make a game that we ourselves would love.

The challenge definitely comes with the mobile version, as the controls are completely different than the "mouse and keyboard combo", and for the most part, the controls of mobile RPGs just.. well.. suck.

That will be one of the things that we want to concentrate on in the beta; we came up with a few ideas and we are really interested in the feedback.

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Technically all RPGs have hack n' slash in them. What separates RPG from the so called aRPG is character development. In Diablo it's pretty much linear and the quests can make the typical RPG player feel like an errand boy. For D3, they said that there will be more involvement in the game.

The problems with aRPGs on iOS is that they don't even have a story, crappy leveling, and then are riddled with real world problems. They truly are hack n slash. I can actually find some depth in Diablo plus it's a good/fun game to play in general. On iOS, a lot of them just aren't really fun and exciting.

Anyways, the way your game sounds on the site, is that you actually play a significant role in your characters development and what they do. This is more RPG than aRPG.

For controls, I like Zenonia 4 and The Bard's Tale.

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Hi,

You mentioned Gothic, and considering that the original Gothic is one of my favorite games of all time, I'm curious as to what elements you are trying to incorporate from that series.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed about the Bard's Tale controls (in many ways the game is everything an action RPG should be, particularly on a handheld platform). Rather than Zenonia 4, though, I would look at Crimson Heart and Mage Gauntlet (another excellent action RPG), both of which allow for precise diagonal movement.