Hey devs, you need to hound Apple into improving iTunes.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greyskull, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I say devs because they have been ignoring their customers for an eternity. At least with the windows client, there is no good way to download apps to a different location besides the default one. Unlike music, you can't just move your library around. Nor can you specify a new download location for apps, as far as I know. At least not on the PC client.

The size of apps is increasing by the month. I have no more space on my primary partition/hard drive. I'm no longer deleting apps and manually moving them, because the drive I used for that purpose died (I've replaced it but I'm not taking the risk again.

I might be in the minority, but I am not going to purchase any more apps UNTIL itunes for Windows can do something as simple as allow the user to change the download directory.

My wallet is now closed.

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I think apple takes even less notice of the DEVs than the customers

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, I figured that Apple might enjoy receiving 30% of ios app sales. ITunes (at least the appstore) is the only digital storefront I'm familiar with that lacks such a basic ability as choosing a new download location, or easily being able to move an app library. It's easy peasy with Steam, Google Play, etc.

A large portion of the ios music community will run, not walk, over to Android if they ever get their audio latency down to manageable levels.

Everywhere I turn, people who are otherwise Apple fans are getting sick of the bull that is iTunes, the way the library works, and the difficulty in moving files without going through itunes.

Right now I'm staring at my largest apps; most of them remain unmoved because they are no longer available on the appstore.

Plus, it won't help developers who put in the time learning Object-C and Xcode if what may be just a few disgruntled types like me eventually becomes a wave. I give it until the end of the year (by which time I'll be looking for a new tablet and I'll be eligible for a phone upgrade) - if Apple can't fix such a SIMPLE little issue which is probably tied to the way itunes reads XML files, I'm out. After all, if you can't trust a mega-gigantic company to fix their web store, what can you trust them with? They could assign 1/100th of 1% of their employees to fix the issue and it could be done in a matter of days.

4. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

You can do that, I did it last month. Basically what you need to do is move the entire itunes media folder in the new hard drive/location and restart itunes. When you click on an app it will see that the original location no longer exists and will ask you to pinpoint the new folder. Once that's done it should search for apps in the entire folder and then install the new ones there.
    It worked for me at least!

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
  6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #6 Vovin, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    Wait! Did he just got p'wned?

Hey Greyskull, it's true. With some easy things you could change your library / download folder or even create as much new libraries as you want.
    I changed my folder to a new 250GB partition as I ran out of space on my primary windows partition. It works, but the whole thing is just not very obvious.

Here's lots of help if sth goes wrong or other way to change the library location:

https://discussions.apple.com/article/HT1589#/?filter=all

I did it by moving the stuff and then needed to press some key combination and select the new location. Worked fine.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Apple still needs to improve iTunes. If it was as user-friendly as they like to pretend it is, all of the answers to these questions would be obvious.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It is easily the least user friendly product they have going and I am continuously baffled as to how it remains so crap year after year. Fortunately with recent iOS changes, it is almost unnecessary.