Every Dev should read this post-mortem from the Game Bakers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Rainier, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    This article from Emeric Thoa of the Game Bakers is possibly one of the best articles I've come across that will put your expectations in line with reality when it comes to developing your apps:

MONEY AND THE APP STORE: A FEW FIGURES THAT MIGHT HELP AN INDIE DEVELOPER

http://thegamebakers.com/money-and-the-app-store-a-few-figures-that-might-help-an-indie-developer.html

Like one of the comments said, it is both inspiring and sobering.

And for our friends in the US east coast, I hope you are safe from the storms.

2. Wow, this is GREAT, thanks!!!

3. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

great topic! thank mate!

4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Careful with some of the linked articles on there. Some go as far back as 2009 and things are very, very different today. App Store moves very fast, even 2011 might be too old. The search algo change and new iOS 6 app store invalidates a lot of methods from before.

Also the often quoted Owen Goss's survey doesn't tell the whole story. I participated in that survey, but they asked only about gross revenue. Net revenue was a very different story. After the charts were released, I noticed I was in the top 1%, but if I took into account advertising costs, I wouldn't be anywhere near that. I spent $50k+ in advertising a year at one point and that's not including a lot of other costs.

I remember the article when it was first posted. All in all, it had a lot of good points, but things change very fast in mobile.

5. Es_

Es_ Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Community Manager and PR for Gamerizon
    Montréal, QB
    Great find, thanks for this!

6. FlowStudioGames

FlowStudioGames Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Co-Founder
    Europe