new 3d game preview

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ChessTrap, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ChessTrap

ChessTrap New Member

Sep 14, 2012
    We are about to release a new 3D game and are just wrapping up the programming. It make more sense to watch the the video of live play than to describe it.

you can view live play at this link:

http://www.saltvalleytally.com/campaign/detail/254

Take a look. Would love to hear feedback. The link is an app contest we are in until Oct 10. It is totally peer vote, so your vote would greatly appreciated. If begging you to take 30 seconds to vote while you are there works, consider this begging you to cast a vote after you watch the preview.

2. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    This looks really nice!

As a commercial proposition, I have to wonder a bit about the central concept of chess with an additional layer of complexity layered on top of it. Straight chess is already more cognitive than most players prefer.

3. kameboy

kameboy Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Wooooow nice!

4. ChessTrap

ChessTrap New Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I forgot I posted here. it's a little surprising finding you own post.

Your comment are fair. I am not a ches player for that very reason. Well I do play chess, but get beat by anyone older than 12 because I just can't get into it. I play in the moment not the future. I like ChessTrap because it makes the game move faster with variables that resets the game constantly allowing me to play people much better than I am by keeping the game in the moment not 6 moves in the future. In this mode it is a great casual game to play with a friend every now and again.

However when we started the AI build, the chess engine programmer, who is a chess master, said it would be better if the traps could be fixed and revealed allowing them to build strategies into future moves. We tested this comment with other chess masters and expert players and found that the they all agreed. The expert players were actually excited about the compounding complexity of a second layer. I guess if you get that good you welcome extra challenges and opportunities to be as you put it more "cognitive."

As for chess being too cognitive—you hit the nail on the head. Chess has been proven in many studies to raise IQ of children and to slow cognitive degradation in elderly and those with brain diseases such as Parkison's Disease. Part of the reasoning behind making a faster, graphic and more accesible chess game was to be more appealing to those of us who just can't get into standard chess to get the benefits of "chess therapy." You will notice the cartoony novelty characters in the promo video. Those are for kid appeal. In fact, they were art directed by my partners 6-year old. we are hoping that the movement, 3-d and cartoon pieces will keep young kids' interest.

Thanks for the feedback. Like any game, it's not for everyone. It will have a free version so you can give it a try without having to drop and dimes.

5. trundley

trundley Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    looks awesome complicated with the 2 layers. Might actually get this.

For your next game, you can make a chess game similar to Wizards chess from Harry Potter? I'd love to see the pawns get smashed across the board :D

6. ChessTrap

ChessTrap New Member

Sep 14, 2012
    animations are part of fun. we have animated kills on the wish list for future sets. it's all possible. hang tight and we will get there eventually.

Right now we are running a kickstarter campaign. you can pre buy the game and a lot a cool swag. we also updated the trailer. see it here: http://bit.ly/SOh7i7

feel free to share/tweet the link to any chess fans.