What makes a game addicting?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GameDeck, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I'm one of those people who resisted Angry Birds until the end, then I got sucked in with version they made for the movie Rio. It's become my go-to game whenever I need a break from the world and I don't get it. It's repetitious, it's frustrating, it feels unbeatable at times and yet I keep going back.

It makes me wonder, what is it about certain games that keep you coming back for more? What's your trigger? Is it variety? Is it graphics? Is it easy enough to win, so you keep playing? I really want to know.

Cyn

2. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    What does 'addicting' mean ;)

Any way, addictive games for me are ones that use gameplay over graphics.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    There are far too many aspects to addiction, but the one common theme I've noticed is making the player feel like they've "almost" achieved something. To that end, what you need are instant restarts. If a player can't get into the action right away after you've completed/failed a level, then you're losing that buzz of achievement.

4. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    If you've played left 4 dead 2 then what does it for me is the thing about that it's different every time you play,and the speacial infected,the finales,multiple campaigns,if there are any app developers than please clone left 4 dead 2 with a versus mode and offline solo mode,8 speacial infected and four characters (must all be present as AI's even if you aren't playing as them) I'd beta test it and everything :D

5. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I get drawn in to games with good graphics personally. I also like a good story in my games. A good game needs to have story, gameplay options and good graphics.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just gameplay for me. Graphics don't do it for me or we'll all be playing the latest x box game. Seen too many games over the years with great graphics but dire gameplay.

That's why retro games are so popular as the gameplay for them are often (not always) very good so you don't worry about the graphics

7. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    the person who plays the game of course

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Gameplay over graphics. Mc3's gameplay was superior to mc2 before and I played it for over 300 hours. Then hackers and lag ruined it and I went back to mc2 which has worse graphics but superior gameplay ATM.

9. jameshood

jameshood New Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Writer
    Graphics and the best features of the game can an human being to game addicted.

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This ^ is what I think too, 100%

11. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Fair rewards for the time and effort you invest. Too much given, and it becomes boring; too little, and a game becomes loathsome. Game makers should be considering what they themselves would want to play, not simply how to try and squeeze money out of people. It's a delicate balance to strike that perfect formula.

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #12 Primoz, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    Its zombies - as in COD zombies :p

Seriously though, there is no recipe for addiction (gaming addiction). It just has to be a good mix of graphics and gameplay (story not that much), since the game has to have a good replay value. Of course it also helps if there are highscores, or even better - online multiplayer. Oh, and the game has to be challenging.

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It's very specific to the individual. I personally don't like Angry Birds, although I do think they are well-made games.

14. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Loot drops!!!! It's ALL about the loot DROPZzzzzzzz!!!!!! Hahaha

Zombies also help!!!!! :D