Nintendo Announces The 2DS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gryphon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    #1 Gryphon, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  3. #3 Haruhi, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Horrible button placement and prone to scratches, no thanks. Just give me a real 3DS revision already, Nintendo.

Edit: Ok, the button placement might not be too bad. Still ugly though.
    [​IMG]

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #4 Teknikal, Aug 28, 2013
    I thought it was a practical joke when I saw this personally I don't see why they didn't just use one big screen instead of two.

[​IMG]

Video

5. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    The point of it is that people who disliked or were made ill by the 3d effects can now buy a ds and all the new games. Although I'm still not sure why they would include a 3d camera when you can't see in 3d on the console

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Augmented reality games require the 3D camera.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I don't see why it would the Vita does augmented reality games with one camera I don't see any benefit for a second personally.

then again I guess it has to be compatible with what's out there so maybe that is the reason.

8. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I would have to see it in person but I think Nintendo has just jumped the shark. It's sad because they have been a great gaming company and the industry will suffer without them.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #9 crunc, Aug 28, 2013
    It's ugly, but it's cheap. And not everyone cares about 3D. I still think they should have gone clamshell, though. However it actually looks like it would be more comfortable than a 3DS or DS, for larger hands, so maybe it's better.

They can't use one large screen because on the 3DS/DS/2DS only the bottom screen is a touch screen.

Do we know if the screens are XL size or non-XL size?

Regarding comfort - I use a grip for my Vita because my hands cramp up after a while playing without it. This is kind of like having that type of grip built-in.

10. People have said this after every major Nintendo announcement for years now...

Non-XL.

[​IMG]

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    My younger son (10) never plays with 3D on - he doesn't like it - so this would be good for him if he wanted his own 3DS. Not that we have the money right now to be getting a second 3... err... 2DS. But for me, the keyboard in Animal Crossing would still be tiny. :( They need to make a 2DS XL. :)

12. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I admit the design looks strange but also interesting for me. I would get it but I already have an XL and a couple old DS Lite so it would be redundant but for anyone that doesnt have one the price is excellent for what its in my opinion the best handheld option right now.

Great games are pouring in regularly now, which isnt the case with my beloved Vita even though its a wonderful piece of tech, so all in all I think this is a very smart move for nintendo which will surely make them some money.

13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I didn't think this was real when I first read about it. It's so like... wtf? ya know?

Honestly though, I'm curious as to when they',l release an actual revision, and quit releasing various different styles of 3DS.

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    You're correct. Nintendo has been counted out before. Hopefully, they can hang in there in this new 'smart phone' paradigm.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The "jumping the shark" part has been correct every time.

Also, someone called it in 2011:

[​IMG]

16. I definetly wont be getting this, but I understand the reasoning behind this and I reckon it's going to sell quite a bit personally

Besides, I could just purchase two Game Boy Advances, weld them together and get a copy of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Then I can have a Pokemon experience where I can actually complete the pokedex...may have to get Fire Red and Leaf Green as well though

17. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    #17 Robot:String, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    It actually is just one big touchscreen, with the plastic face acting as a mask and a protective plastic on top to avoid using it as a touch screen. :)

Modders will be pleased!

From http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move:

18. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    This has to be the ugliest looking device I've ever seen.

19. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Hmm... If it ever drops to $100 I might buy. Need to see one in person.

And hey don't have to worry about cracking/loose hinges.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #20 MidianGTX, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I actually kinda like how it looks like a slice of cake, but as a handheld console it's pretty stupid. Not practical at all, probably uncomfortable, less portable than the other model and I wouldn't buy one. It looks more like one of those fan-made concept images you get just before a console is revealed.

Oh, and I hate resistive touchscreens. The way you can actually feel the plastic being pressed in when you touch it makes it feel cheap and tacky.