Announcing ProjectX

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JarodGames, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JarodGames

JarodGames New Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Hello All,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Jarod. I am here to announce my game tentatively called 'ProjectX' for no other reason that I have not decided on a name. Day job, I'm in Tech Support. Night time, I'm an aspiring iPhone game developer. Although currently in my day job I'm doing hardware, network and logistics support, night time, I'm coding away, learning XCode, OpenGL, and all the stuff that's required to make an iPhone game. It's been an adventure. It's about 2:21 am right now where I am and I'm about to hit the sack. But more significantly, I think I've hit an internal milestone (albeit a small one). I have an idea to make a game based on particles. So for about few weeks now I've been developing a simple particle system which will be at the core of my game visual effect. Below are some of the goals and requirements in developing the game.

- Must run at least on 3rd gen devices (i'll try to push for 2nd gen though but it's not a priorty right now)
    - Minimal iOS 3.0
    - Supports both OpenFeint and GameCenter
    - Ability to Tweet and Facebook your highest score
    - Pick up and play game (no long tutorials)
    - It's a shooter of sort
    - Minimalist but polished graphics (coz I'm doing this alone and I'm not that great of an artist although I try)
    - Simple game play rules

I'm giving myself two weeks (hopefully) to complete this game. The reason I'm writing this is so that others can see the process that a lone game developer goes through during his lone adventure in attempting to create an iPhone game. At times I would be asking for feedback and suggestions from this forum and hopefully there will be participation. I'm also hoping that this can be a lesson (maybe not necessarily a good one) for people who will be reading this thread and also for myself. I'm also planning to include in the game credits the name of the people from this forum who gives me suggestions and feedback that I am able to incorporate into the game. Anyhow, without further ado, below is a YouTube link of what I got so far. There is still a whole lot more work to be done but this is the start.

I'll be posting updates regularly and will be asking inputs from the TA forum participants from time to time.

Thanks and good luck to me :)

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    The video looks pretty cool but what is the game supposed to be?

3. Re_Create_Ent

Re_Create_Ent Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Interesting idea :), Good Luck with the game!

4. ErnestoH

ErnestoH Member

Jun 21, 2011
    iPhone indie game developer
    Redmond, WA
    Good luck with the game. I like posts like this.

No matter how your game turns out it's a great way for people to learn from your experience.

5. JarodGames

JarodGames New Member

Jun 24, 2011

The game in its essence is an arcade shooter. The rule is that there 3 types of particle, each with different color. Two of them you can shoot and if more that three goes out of the screen, the game ends. There is also a particle that you're not allowed to shoot. If you shoot this, the game ends as well. This is to avoid player to just randomly spamming the screen with bullets and add a little challenge to the game. Here is a link to the Youtube gameplay.

Manage to give the particles a 'wobbly' feeling at the center. Kinda like those things you see on TV on those Science Channel shows when they're showing an atom with the center stuff zipping around really fast. The background is a fog to changes over time in look and color.

That's all for now. It's 1:51 am.