What do you like to see in a turn based strategy game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Clan Kingdom, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Clan Kingdom

Clan Kingdom New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    UK
    I'm currently thinking of making a turn based strategy game, probably fantasy based. I've got some cool ideas, and I'm leaning towards making it midcore, but I wondered what everyone else likes to see in those kinds of games? Any/All advice will be helpful!

2. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I like turn based games where you can reserve action points so your character can fire or attack an enemy as they enter their field
    of fire.

3. SconicX

SconicX Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Personally I like it when I have maybe a few actions I can do even when it's not my turn. Sometimes, it's just pure reactive moves you can use. Sometimes it's setting up defenses etc.

4. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I like a story that provides relevance and interest in the campaign, particularly if the strategy units are individuals with personalities and a character arc. But good writing in video games is wholly different skill - if it's done badly, it can also ruin a game that actually has decent mechanics.

5. dragonx91

dragonx91 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2016
    I would love a game where if our units survives they level up and can make additional units (Veteran) while if they died we need to use a rookie unit. Also the terrain holds advantage based on where it is located (hills, forests, etc)

6. Hedron Engineer

Hedron Engineer Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I like attacking more than defending. Hence, I really dislike when you can't pass through friendly units.

Fantasy setting opens the door to having different factions with completely different unit types and play stiles.

7. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I can tell what doesn't get deleted from my ipad. Xcom, Battle Academy and Demon's Rise.