Zombies 4-Ever (working title)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RPGGuy, Aug 16, 2010.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #1 RPGGuy, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    I'm starting this thread to talk about the latest Rocking Pocket game, Zombies: City of the Dead (working title, formely Zombies 4-Ever). Right now the game is 2 weeks in development so it has a long ways to go.

Right now I am in the process of integrating the Bullet physics engine for player collision with the world. I also have full scene shadow mapping implemented with flashlights so it really feels like Left 4 Dead on your phone.

There was a lot of buzz about Carmack showing off Rage on the iPhone and while it has impressive textures, that's all it is. Lighting is prebaked using radiosity and no shaders were used (as he said it works fine on a 2G).

With my engine I'm doing full dynamic lighting and shadowing of characters and the world itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the final image you can see shadows from the walls, so it's not just limited to characters!

The engine is running at a pretty smooth frame rate with 8 zombies animated and a simple level. Please disregard the background textures and level because it's just to test while I integrate the physics engine.

I'll keep posting more info as the game develops.

2. Looks cool! Great work.

How big is the team?

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Just myself. Any more would just slow me down :)

4. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Looks to be shaping up really well. I know it's only a working title, but I'd ditch that name asap. Made me think your game was a spin-off from a certain zombie themed dual-stick shooter ;)

5. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    You Sir are a beast!

6. Kniveswood

Kniveswood Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Woah looking forward to launch!

7. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Wow, for a one man team in 2 weeks, that is incredible, however, I agree with iFanzine that the name is too similar to Alive 4-ever.

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I have 21 original iPhone games on the store now, all by myself. Once you've got an engine to work with and can get past the technical hurdles it's easy.

Helps to re-use code too. I've developed this 3D engine on the PC for 15 years and ported it to the iPhone over the past year.

Maybe someone here will come up with a better name for it. Figure it needs to have 'zombie' in the title though to make it easy to find in iTunes.

9. EgyptianDuck

EgyptianDuck Member

Dec 7, 2009
    England
    [​IMG]

Obviously not official, just an idea maybe? I could help with the title screen if you like it?

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Maybe something to do with shadows or darkness? I think Zombies 24/7 has too many numbers in it, especially if I do a sequel.

11. SJohnson064

SJohnson064 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    I love the idea!
    I just wish the graphics weren't so pixelized. Maybe get with a great 3D artist to revamp the art!

12. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    ah don't start that. I'm working on the game engine and still too early to work on art. Also the pics were taken on an iPhone 4 yet the game is running at 320x480 so the pixels were doubled.

13. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Sheesh, can I have a couple of you on my team? We've got so many projects going that our lone designer/programmer is losing his mind.

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #14 RPGGuy, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    I was doing some mock ups for the icon and title and for now, it's Zombies : City of the Dead.

[​IMG]

I passed on Dawn of the Zombie, Zombie Nightmare, Zombie Stalker, Zombie Island

[​IMG]
    Too much like Dawn of the Dead :)

I was able to get Bullet integrated with a character controller so now I can walk around and collide with any 3D level I can think of. Today I'm working on getting prebaked lighting into the engine so I can use lightmaps for ambient lighting and radiosity in the levels.

15. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Awesome!

16. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    how easy was it to use bullet with opengl.

I did my own 3D physics engine which isn't perfect but it's fast enough.
    I'll probably use off the shelf physics for my next game.

17. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Well it only took a couple of days to get Bullet compiling and feed it the vertices from my level. Seems to run fairly fast without any tweeking. Not having any problems with falling out of the world like I've had with some physics engines.

18. SpaceHunter

SpaceHunter Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Hey Chris,

Will you be releasing your mobile engine to the public?

19. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    No, I was in the engine licensing business for 15 years. Got tired of doing the tech support.

20. SpaceHunter

SpaceHunter Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I don't blame you.

I remember buying a copy of Power Render back in the days - 1998? And prior to that you had a 2d engine but the name escapes me. It was all good stuff.

Great to see you in the mobile sector :)