Best way to attract betatesters for incomplete game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Airwalker, May 22, 2012.

1. Airwalker

Airwalker New Member

May 22, 2012
    #1 Airwalker, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
    I have a game that I need tested just for game mechanics (how it plays and whether it's fun). It would NOT involve finding bugs or anything because the game's still in development. I need this because I am so close to the game and it's proving to be difficult to tell how the game is (played levels sooooo many times).

I don't think it would take long to play it and give feedback.
    Would people do this for, like $5, to just test it out and provide feedback?
    Seems like asking to betatest flat out doesn't work well.

2. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    If you open up a thread one of the upcoming games forums here you will get a lot of nice people offering their help on testing yout project. At least that's my impression I get from countless threads in here.
    But since you don't link to the project it could be possible that it is a reaaaaaally rough build, atm ?

Why not ask 10 of your friends/family members in the meantime. Seems to have the same effect for now. If you're afraid to show it to other people, at the moment.

Just suggesting, though :)

3. Aztlan.Games

Aztlan.Games Well-Known Member

You could also use TestFlight. TF even provides some recruiting functionality.

4. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Yeah most people will test anything on testflight since it's so quick and easy and no effort is really involved on the beta testers behalf.

I'm clueless with the UID thing, but I've beta tested many games through testflight. (for free)

5. Airwalker

Airwalker New Member

May 22, 2012
    #5 Airwalker, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
    Hey, guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I don't say it's very rough as most of the game play is finished. I have built up to 25 levels out of maybe about 50 but I would like to know whether I am going the right direction before I build the other 25 levels out so I don't have to fix/redo all 50 levels if I am going the wrong direction. Better catch problems early and prevent than catch them later and fix. And, I am missing some eyecandy and we all know how important that is.

I have asked people around but unfortunately, most of them are not my target audience as they don't play game on iPhone (why have an iPhone then, right? ;) )

This is my second game and I have used TF successfully. The difficult part is finding right people.

I would love to post it in the upcoming game section but it's not as finished as the games in that forum yet, and I don't want it to fizzle out and die because of that.