My iOS binary file is 3 times bigger than Android (UNITY)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PocApp Studios, Sep 9, 2015.

1. PocApp Studios

PocApp Studios Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    Hey dev! I'm wondering if anyone of you have the same problem as me. When I build for iOS the binary size is 150mb, but for android the same game is only 50mb. It's so frustrating because I want it under 100mb but it seems impossible? Any help?
    Thanks!

2. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    That's the problem with "fat binaries" (supporting both 32bit and 64bit), the fat binaries consist of 2 builds in the same package, so that's why it's so big.
    You can try a few ways to optimize build size: stripping, removing dsym, optimize your graphics & sounds,....

3. PocApp Studios

PocApp Studios Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Developer
    Sweden
    And for uploading it to itunes you are required to have both 32 and 64bit right? So it's kinda impossible to avoid it :(
    I've got it down from 190 to 150 by stripping it etc, but can't really get it down more.

Thanks for the answer!

4. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    3 times larger still seems a little too much, our size for iOS is a little less than twice as large (also using Unity).
    We found large background images were taking way more space than we expected them to, and optimising that saved a lot of space, so that might be something to look into.