Is this allowed: Lite version with IAP upgrade to full game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by derpderp, Apr 5, 2012.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    #1 derpderp, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Hi all

I was thinking of releasing one level version of my game and having an in app purchase of $0.99 to unlock everything else rather than releasing a 'lite' verson and a sperate full version.

Basically this would mean that you could buy the full version of the game inside the limited version (well kind of).

is that allowed? or do you have to have a 'lite' or free version and a separate full version?

Thanks all!

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I've heard from multiple developers that Apple is actively discouraging releasing free lite versions now over these sort of IAP unlocks. So, yes, it's allowed.

3. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Super!

Thanks.

4. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    That is interesting, you are saying Apple is actually preventing the release of lite and paid editions now?

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I've heard from quite a few developers that they've had lite versions rejected, with Apple suggesting if they want to offer a free and paid version to do it via an IAP unlock.

6. Samuramu

Samuramu Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Game designer and coder
    My game (Tiny Fireman) was originally launched as a paid app, then I added a free (one area) + unlock all IAP, and got it approved.

Currently the sales are similar in the free vs. paid. Buy rates are about 100:1.

7. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I'm considering going free+IAP for my paid app instead of having a Lite, as it then means all versions share Game Center functionality (online play, Leaderboards etc.)

However I don't want to force people that have already paid 2 or 3 dollars for it to buy the full game again via IAP.

Anyone know if it's possible to give people who previously bought your (once paid) app the IAP for free?

8. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    My game, Saturday Morning RPG, essentially does this, so yes, it's totally allowed! Just make sure you've got the right kind of game to support it. In 50/50 hindsight we really wish we had charged for our game (we got high downloads but had a super low conversion rate).

9. FunInfusedGames

FunInfusedGames Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    I just released a lite version of my game without IAP a week or so ago. So Apple still allows that. I just have a link to find the full version on the AppStore. So far it doesn't seem to be yielding much success in converting users. I may do an update at some point that allows an IAP to make the lite version the full version and see if that goes better.

10. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I don't believe I will ever do this. Charting is so much more difficult on the Free side..

11. Uncade

Uncade Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    I checked out your lite version as research as I'm working on a lite version for Blast Ball. One thing that struck me is that you might convert more people if there was a "Get Full Version" button on the game over screen, as well as before you play. I have no idea if that'll help, but it's just a thought. Hypership is awesome BTW.

12. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Basically in the limited version I want a menu option that states 'Unlock the full version' which will open the IAP screen. That should be fine right?

Also, is it ok to post screen shots of the full version on the app store?

Thanks again.

13. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Is your game level-based? This should be fine.

I like how ghost trick does it, you play this adventure game and at the most pulsating moment you move to the next chapter which requires you to buy. From there you either buy the next 3 chapters together, or buy the whole game. If you choose to buy the whole game you get a discount, around 30%.

Also, I think it makes sense for some genre to have lite and full version, but for the most it just makes more sense to have one single version, it's more manageable and convergence/attention is not broken into two.

14. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes, my game is level based, thanks for the info.

anyone know if is it ok to post screen shots of the full version on the app store for the limited version?

Thanks y'all.

15. FunInfusedGames

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    That's probably a good idea and should be a pretty easy update to do. It's certainly not converting at all with the success I'd hoped. We are adding around 90 users a day though so perhaps eventually it will even out.

Glad you like the game, that's great to hear :)

16. I've installed such IAP apps, big fish games or something, can't remember. So, it's allowed.

But personally I don't like this way. First you think it a full version and happy, and then you half finished it and surprised that it won't let you go on without IAP. Why not tell me first so that I can decide whether to play beforehand?

17. I think it's not possible. If you release the full version without IAP first, how can you add the IAP so that previous buyers have to buy it again? Would Apple allow that?

18. Aren't they the same? A link to full version and an IAP to upgrade to full version? Why you suppose one to outperform the other?

And there are interesting things. Since you've released another full version first, people can buy the full version while still make the purchase in the lite version via IAP. Won't it be a problem? Or, at least, confusing?

19. My free version was just approved last night. I have no IAP in it, just a limited number of levels and a link to my full version.

Many developers release a lite version that contains the full game but everything is just locked until you make the IAP which just unlocks it all.

20. FunInfusedGames

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    If I had an IAP in the Lite to unlock everything, yes it would be essentially the same as the full version. The only real difference would be that there would be different leaderboards for each.

It's an imperfect system. I wish I had done freemiume from the start.