Would you release your app close to the election?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Rainier, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Our app is getting close to the release date, and as luck would have it, it just happens to be close to the US Presidential election (the projected release date is 11/4, the election is 11/6).

My first instinct is to get out of the way, but then again, if everyone thought that, there wouldn't be much to write about for gaming sites. One other plus is that aspects of the app can be highlighted to take advantage of the election. Since it's a charades app, all sorts of political figures can be conjured up to take part of the news flow.

What would you guys do? Go with the flow, or get out of the way?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    We are stopping all our Facebook campaigns prior to US elections till New Year.

3. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    I wouldn't worry for the following reasons:
    • The world does not stop during elections (let's x our fingers).
    • CNN will probably not cover your app on other days either (most likely that is).
    • There are no elections in the other 154 countries the app will be released to (actually I haven't checked).

4. If you can get one of the candidates to mention or even play your app during a live debate, you'll be on a right winner!!!. :D

5. Clash Force

Clash Force Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Ah, so that's what Obama was doing, playing bad piggies.

6. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Great points, Mark. Thanks for the added perspective. Makes it a little less frightening to go up against such a huge news event.

7. MarcJay

MarcJay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    California
    IMO, release date (unless you have a specific/expensive promotion planned on release date), is becoming less important these days. We're not big console games where sales need to come early and come big. I think the App Store is more about the slow burn and keeping up marketing, day by day, inch by inch. I would just release when you feel you App is ready.

We just released our game, Operation Smoochy, on the App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/operation-smoochy/id555651007?mt=8), and felt the key was after release, tell as many friends as possible so they can download and hopefully like, review and rate as soon as possible.

Good luck!