Dungeon Defenders FAQ/Beginner Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DaDramaLlama, Dec 20, 2010.

1. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    First off I will say I LOVE this game. In my opinion in a few updates and a DLC pack this will be the best game on the app store. Sadly a lot of players have quit after the tutorial due to confusion or controls. This is terrible because when you get past the first level this game is amazing. So here is my beginner guide/FAQ. I took the time to do this so the community can get bigger and make sure people realize this gem!

Mana: Mana is your currency in DD. You get mana from enemies and treasure chests after each wave. You use mana to build defenses, repair defenses, upgrade defenses, and heal yourself. One of the most asked questions is how do you pick up mana. It's simple...walk over it!! Here's another common question: I walk over it and nothing happens. What gives? Well this means you have your maximum mana. You can tell this by the blue bar under the red bar which is your health meter.

Classes: I, myself, am a level 20 squire. I thoroughly enjoy the class. The squire relies on brute force but at the same time takes lots of strategy. I recommend him to any beginners and to very experienced players. I see a lot of noobs with him who all play the same way. Build a spike blockade then a blocker behind it. Then I see some players who play him well. They usually put a bowling ball and harpoons and an occasional slice n dice. The apprentice(NOT MAGE) is the most chosen class and is versatile. I myself have not played as him yet but have friends who I play with a lot(arcy) that are very skilled. He's a great starter class and has a lot of great towers. He is the ultimate beginner class but in the hands of a good player he's a huge asset. The huntress is the most versatile in my opinion. She has a lot of good qualities but I dont recommend her to beginners as she is hard to play as. The monk is what would happen if the apprentice and the squire had a kid. I love playing with a monk(that's you mud kip) as they are a huge team asset. They cause great damage to ogres and at the same time help you and your teammates.

The forge: The forge can be very confusing to new players. Basically its like a bank/customization tool. You can store all your excess items you've picked up in a game. What I do is pickup all items that my class can equip such as swords for me as i am a squire. I don't like to pickup apprentice weapons because THEY ARE APPRENTICE WEAPONS! There is no need to pickup a godly apprentice weapon and just sell it. Don't be selfish. Let the apprentice pick it up. Then when I get back to the forge, I sell everything I don't want. Then I use that banked money to upgrade equipment. To do this, go to the hero info page and click on the item you want to upgrade. Then hold the invest button.

That's the answers to the most asked questions. If you need anything please ask. The only stupid question is the one unasked. Now go ahead let's protect the kingdom!!

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks a lot for making this thread, it helped explain some things to me:)

3. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    No problem. That was the idea.

4. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Any tips on how to get it to not crash? I cant play it at all on my ipod touch 3G.

(I tried deleting and reinstalling, but no luck)

5. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Trendy is fixing some crash bugs and improving framerate in the first update.

6. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    Hey Drama, have you figured out how to change the name of individual characters during online play? Someone said you edit the name through selection screen but I can't seem to figure it out. I have already seen players with different names and I can't! Arg!

7. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Ummm I'll investigate.

8. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    I just figured it out :/ You have to pick the name when you create a hero, only then apparently...you can't go back and edit it :(

9. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    I'm afraid your right

10. tantrikninja

tantrikninja Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #10 tantrikninja, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Doctore . . . . Thank you thank you thank you for this wonderful thread. Because playing Dungeon Defenders aint like dusting crops.

I managed to lay out a plan for the first two levels thus far. First ones easy. Barricade the two stairs and work your way around from there. The key was figuring out two things - correct me if im wrong - but: 1) You can block of access to your crystals with traps and blockades and even harpoon guns. Unlike other Tower Defense games where blocking your primary base will lead to the baddies shooting it up from a distance as opposed to going through your gauntlet of defensive towers - DD call’s for complete cut-off of the crystal from the creepies. Correct !?!

However - Less is More. . . . yes !?!

2) The towers, Harpoons, Barricades et al. are basically stalling tactics. Long enough for you to get your squire/apprentice/huntress/monk out there to deal the damage and death blow and gather all the mana wot’s been spilled. Yes !?!

Unless of course you are super-powerful and all levels up - in which case I guess you could simply stand back and watch your traps and towers to the damage - heading out to clean up the stragglers and bosses.

Other than that - loots tricky. I had been investing mana in a sword I took of the old ogre, brought it up to level 3 and then managed to loot an electric sword off of the same ogre in a quick multiplayer. Which was better. So now am investing mana in that. Question is - when I sold my olympus to the mana bank - do I get all the mana invested in it back? Another point on the same subject - that of looting - in multiplayer: I grab the item to put in the box - regardless of it suits my class and what not - and then I got disconnected from the host in the build phase prior to the final wave. But the stuff I looted and put in the host’s forge was also available to me? Total confusion on the loot system on that front. How does it work. Or I guess I could spend another day trying to figure it out as well as I can. Too bad it’s monday. I hate mondays.:mad:

11. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Basically all of that is true. Except for the towers being stallers. I've had games where I trust my towers enough that I leave them alone and return periodically to get my mana. It's just you don't have a good setup yet.

12. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I'll admit I quit this game after the terrible tutorial level. I'll come back to it when I slow down with Aralon, and the rest of the games I picked up.

13. tantrikninja

Nov 18, 2010
    Well actually I'd likes to think that on the first two levels - I got it all sorted out. Keeping in mind that am just at lvl 10 with two of my characters tho. It's a missile type tower set up behind a barricade. Causing damage delay and death. . . And I swoop in like a savage Valkyrie and grab mana and repair and set up more traps. . .

To each his own I guess. . . I was looking at the angle of efficiency as well. On a multiplayer for instance - had one dude who set up three missile towers behind a post of barricades - where he got the mana from to do that - I'll never know - first wave - max second. But still.

Idea is to cause as much obstruction and death by spending as little mana as is necessary. That's what I'm working with at the moment.

Added you on GC - just like a couple of minutes back. But there seems to be some issue with being able to join up at the moment - or is that just with me. Either ways. . .looking forward to a proper schooling.

14. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Whats your GC name I'll add you. I find that I play more defensively. Il usually set up a strong defense(2 spinners 3 bowling balls) and I'll sit back. Unless things go wrong or an ogre approaches I stay back. I am in love with the squire and too many n00bs play as him terribly(build a million bouncers). But when an advanced player gets a hold of him...all he'll breaks lose. My current weapon does 300 damage a hit. I'm looking forward to playin with you.

15. tantrikninja

Nov 18, 2010
    GC id is God-King. Thats with a Kapital K on the King thank you very much.

Spinners and bowling balls ay. . .nope. Havent unlocked them as of yet. And when I do, I'll need to spend some time seeing where they work best.

For now I likes to use bouncers in narrow spaces cutting off routes to my crystal. Not too many. Just enough to do the trick. Can't sit back tho. Hyperactivity is a problem for me. And like I say in my earlier posts. . . barricades in front of harpoons and missile towers usually does it for me.

Added you in . . .

16. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    im using the apprentice what does the yellow down arrow next to the jump button do? also, how do you use voice chat online i dont see an option.

17. tantrikninja

Nov 18, 2010
    I Use the yellow button to call for help if I see an ogre coming my way or too many baddies getting through my barricades. Also I think it should be bright pink and say - Dont Panic !!! - in big friendly letters on the top. But that's just me.

18. Azuvidexus

Azuvidexus Well-Known Member

You mentioned that Arcy plays an apprentice; any build tips? Or at least some guidelines for points?

So far my apprentice is level 10, with +13 Hero Damage, +4 Hero Speed, +4 Hero Casting Rate and +3 Defense Base Damage.

A bit clueless of which stats are useless and which aren't, and since there's no respec option yet...

19. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I would level up your defenses more, particularly defense range, casting speed, and attack.

20. Azuvidexus

Azuvidexus Well-Known Member

You mean Defense Base Damage, Defense Area of Effect and Defense Attack Rate?