Road Rage Ahead - In Review

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by rgeade, May 8, 2009.

1. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    I submitted a new game earlier this week; Road Rage Ahead. It's a game where you control intersections, railroad crossings and one-way construction zones to keep traffic moving through the city. Although I've seen several others like it pop up in the App Store lately, mine is different in that the levels are larger than the screen, there is scenery, several types of vehicles and the vehicles each have their own styles of driving. Collisions can occur at railroad crossings and construction zones, essentially blocking the lane, which adds another layer of strategy to the game. There are 10 levels of different sizes and difficulty and "The Grid" mode where you play as long as you can without backing up traffic, and then submit your score online.

I posted a quick YouTube preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGCClIf7nA

I'll likely post some promo codes once it's available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. superKman

superKman Member

May 4, 2009
    seems like it would be more fun if you could crash the cars

3. superKman

superKman Member

May 4, 2009
    If you just added a single mode where you can see how many cars you crash in the time limit that would be great. Love how the gameplay looks. If you want someone to test it for you i'm all for it. Just send me a code

4. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, the cars only crash at railroad crossing and in one-way construction zones, since regular intersections only flow one direction at a time, I would either have to implement random cars that blatantly ran red lights or you would have to control both directions seperately (which I believe another version in the app store does).

The crash mode seems like an interesting idea, I'll play around with that for the next version.

5. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    No asking for promo codes. But on topic, your game looks great, sortof simple appeal that makes games like flight control so popular!

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Hasn't there been this exact game with slightly lesser graphics out for weeks now? Is this the same game with better graphics? otherwise you're just a biter and copied the other dude.

7. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, actually there has been another, and no, this is a different one. There are actually 3 very similar apps to this that have been released in the last 2 weeks. I submitted mine last Sunday, and because of the timing of the other developers, I doubt any of us had any idea others were creating the same type game. This is one downfall of having such a successful app store, lot's of developers with similar ideas all working feverishly to get their product on sale.

One of the worst feelings is working on a game for 7 weeks, and then seeing one very similar pop up in the app store. I'm sure each of the other developers had the same reaction when they saw the first on launch. That's the nature of the app store though.

One thing that sets mine apart is that it's not just one screen, I have 10 levels and my levels are large; you have to scroll around the city to keep track of everything. I believe the other 3 are one-screen games like Flight Control, which was mentioned above; and that may be more preferable considering the massive success of Flight Control.

Lately 7 days has been the norm for approvals, so I should have some promo codes posted soon.

8. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Looks very good!

9. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Very nice! Looking forward to its release quite a bit. May I ask at what price point you intend to release the game? Thank you kindly.

10. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    Launch price will be $0.99.

11. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    There is a flash game just like this. Actually , im pretty sure this dev stole the concept and gameplay completely. Here is the game: http://jmtb02.com/i-love-traffic/

12. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Awesome, i haven't checked any of them out but you seem to be the most professional out of the lot and the graphics on your game are much more detailed. I'll try to nab a promo code and write an iTunes review, but only if you happen to post them when I'm sitting at home, otherwise the lurkers get them all.

At any rate, good luck! You're going to need it with this kind of competition.

13. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    Truthfully, I haven't seen this game before. I've been working on Road Rage Ahead for two months and although both use controlling traffic as a game, that's about the only similarity. If anything the original creator of the idea is http://www.addictinggames.com/trafficcontrol2.html which was posted in 2005. I stumbled upon it several weeks into my development. So that game beat everyone to the punch.

14. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
  15. BlueForce

BlueForce Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Gamer
    Canada
    Great game! Been playing quite a bit today..
    Although I have a few suggestions:
    a) There are times that I got "back upped" and lost the game, and I don't even know why!!
    I was like so shocked when I see that I died..
    - seriously need to add notification or beeping sound or sth to let you know that you gonna lose soon..
    - maybe add some flashing pointers at the side of the screen to let u know where is the area that is heavily backed up and need your attention? kinda like those airplane games when you are gonna get hit by the missiles, and there are like flashing red on top right corner or something and you need to dodge it..
    b) urgh cant think of any for now.. will let u know later hahaha

Other than that, great game! gotta get the highest score online in The Grid Mode!

16. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    All the promo codes have been accounted for. Thanks to everyone that took the time to try out the game, give me feedback, and reviews. And, also to BlueForce, for completely blowing any high scores I have made at my own game out of the water!

I'll be sure to post when the next version is due out.

17. BlueForce

BlueForce Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Gamer
    Canada
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 501 =D
    I could had more!! Stupid cars lol...

Gotta break my own record again someday!!

18. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Road Rage Ahead is a good game. I really enjoyes playing it and it's very polished, but you have to scroll a lot, a bit too much I think. If you add zooming it would be better, I think. The rest of the game is perfect, the graphics are fantastic and the menu's are good too. The trains and construction area's really add depth to the game. A really good game!

5/5 stars.

19. rgeade

rgeade Member

May 8, 2009
    iOS Developer
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been working on Zooming and it will be included in the next update of the game, as well as a few other features, and additional levels. Thanks for the review!

20. friendlytoaster

friendlytoaster Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Programmer
    Chicago
    Any hints on when the update will be submitted? I enjoy the game quite a bit, and zooming would solve all of the issues I currently have with it.