zero ads in a non-freemium game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by headcaseGames, Aug 13, 2013.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I am curious what is the attitude toward releasing 100% free apps with no advertising whatsoever (and no other monetization) - kid-friendly, colorful, kinda cutesy pick-up-and-play. There's countless apps of the sort for years now, of the advertising and non-advertising variety. It'd be great to just get loads of DLs but I am sure those days are gone for years now anyway. Anyone tried this, is there anything to say on the matter? "worth it enough" to just stick ads in there and get $0.25 a day - if even that - or...?

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I guess it depends what you are aiming for. A popular way to go also seems to be to charge 99 cents to remove ads.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    If you make a game for children, no IAP and no ads is what I want to see as a parent.
    And I am willing to pay for it.
    Try to get in touch with a parents site, like Momswithapps, see if they write about you.

Having a lite version so it can be tried before purchase (you know, the interesting tastes of kids... ;) ) should help, too.

4. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    We did this over a year ago with Tetroms. The hope was that it would help with cross-promotion, but I can honestly say that it didn't help and downloads only increased to about 5 per day. Average now for the free game is around the 'one' mark! I think the game deserved more but hey.