5th Generation iPod Touch Discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MicroByte, Oct 11, 2012.

1. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

It's been about 2 years since an actual update to the iPod Touch lineup, and I was lucky enough to pick one up yesterday. I've played with it for a decent amount of time and wanted to start a discussion thread for anyone interested since not everyone owns iPhones.

For starters, here are some videos I took of the new iPod Touch. The first is a comparison video between 4G and 5G:

If there is anything specific you are interested concerning the iPod Touch itself or a specific game you want to ask about, please let me know!

2. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    Wow, thanks man how does nova 3 run?

3. MicroByte

Yes it does and it looks beautiful, even with the letterboxing:

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

The framerate is smooth and it looks extremely detailed to me.

4. bossepy

bossepy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Have you run battery test? It is my biggest concern with iPod touch.

5. MicroByte

I used it last night for about 3 hours straight browsing, playing games and just doing things in general and the batter dropped to about 60% in that time. I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly by playing graphically intense games, but so far, it's much better than my 4G was. I can't remember how good the batter for my 4G was when I first got it though, and I'm sure 2 years of daily use has shortened the longevity of it.

All I know is that it's been good to me so far. I've been messing with it at work here doing the same and the battery line has barely budged.

6. Firetruck94

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    I love you (no homo) I'm soooo getting this.

7. MicroByte

8. Firetruck94

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    I have the 4th gen and it's limitations are really starting to show. The fact that the 4th gen has a larger screen, faster processor, Siri, and better camera makes me think that this is the way to go, not to mention that there are different colors :)

9. I'm surprised IB2 and NOVA3 both still lack widescreen support. Gameloft and Chair are usually really quick with these new hardware updates.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #10 JBRUU, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    The a5 chip will be a real game changer for you guys. It's a massive increase in speed.

Edit: that IB2 vid looks awful. Low grade textures, no realtime shadows, no real particle effects...that cannot be optimized for the a5.

11. MicroByte

JBRUU - you're right, I didn't even notice that with IB2 while recording it and haven't played it since. I just played it and it looks like it's not optimized and maybe using the lower quality assets/effects of the 4G.

Hope they update it to take advantage of the new hardware. No wonder it was so smooth and loaded so quickly!

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Damn, I can't wait to get mine!! When are these supposed to hit stores again?

13. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    I ordered a Black&Slate 32GB model from Amazon.com.Cannot wait to have it.

14. MicroByte

I picked up mine from the Apple Store yesterday. I had originally preordered from apple.com on September 20th, but it hadn't even shipped. I know on Macrumors, people that ordered on the 14th will get their's in tomorrow. I would try calling your local Apple store to see if they have any in if you have a store near you.

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yep. That a5 chip is pretty beefy, finally we can see games that can eliminate a4 support and don't take to much of a profit hit. Try out mc3 or grand theft auto, bask in the smooth framerate. Walking dead should run better, too.

16. MicroByte

Currently playing NOVA 3 and need to go back to MC3 as well. The screen is even an improvement over the 4G, makes everything looks so good.

Dare I say it, I like the clarity and sharpness over my Vita, even with it's smaller size. Also, the viewing angle of the 5G screen is much improved, no more inverted colors when you view from an angle.

17. PodCubed

PodCubed Active Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks for the update. Tempted to get one now, shame I don't use my Vita as much though.. think it's building dust :( glad to hear the performance is good!

18. MicroByte

#18 MicroByte, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  19. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    iPod touch 5th g has Siri?

20. MicroByte

Yes, it has Siri! :)