Mobile games did not evolve as I thought they would...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Primoz, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #1 Primoz, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    Where to start...? At the beginning, I guess.

I was a huge mobile phone gaming fan since I could play snake on that two-color nokia screen. Then I bought a phone, which had colors and more than 3 games! Then I got an old Sony Ericsson which already supported 3D j2me games, and I played and beat preety much all of 3D games that existed back then (and a ton of 2D games too, of course). I had a blast playing these, especially the games from Fishlabs. Then, the PSP got released (I was never a huge fan of portable console games, except mobile phone games, but PSP seemed like a real breaktrough). I was at the brink of buying the PSP, when I stumbled upon the Ravensword trailer on youtube, to be more precise, this video:

I am planning to buy a new iOS device in a year or two and I bet, that I will be able to play and beat all the noteworthy games that I missed out on in just a month or two.

Please, tell me I'm wrong...

2. It is true that freemiums and early adopter blues is really hurting the market, but there's still some great games out there if you hunt and pick.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Goodluck out there. I did this a few months and found myself coming back to mobile gaming from console/pc.
    Hope you enjoy the greener grass

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I did "hunt and pick" for the last 4 years... As said, there are only a handful of games, which would fit my criteria...

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Purchased the N-Gage today, going old-school, abandoning iOS games for good...

For any doubters:

[​IMG]

6. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Hahaha!

7. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Not oldschool enough.Here is my old N-gage

Attached Files:

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I was actually deciding between the classic and the QD, the classic is better because you can over-clock it to 130 MHz, but then some games don't run... It also has MP3 player and radio etc. but I don't need that. I went with the QD because its more compact, has a better d-pad and a brighter screen. And you don't have to take the phone apart when inserting another MMC in.

9. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #9 Aventador, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

I've never seen or played on QD.I fell in love with N-gage after reading a long review in some magazine, still remember bits of text even today.They had a few screens from Pandemonium , Tomb Raider and some Japan exclusive online game that looked like first Dragon Quest ( very impressive at that time !).Didn't own many games as they were expensive for me back then.
    Picture from a game promotion cover I got with N-gage ( irony is that N-gage Rayman 3 was a full Rayman game, not a sacked , endless runner Rayman game we get served today ):

Attached Files:

10. Why is this better than ios gaming?

11. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    All we need is buttons

12. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I'm just wondering what the IAPs are like, how good the coin drops are, whether or not he's seeing a lot of timers, how bad the pay-walls are, how many consumable IAPs he's seeing, if any of the games he's bought are essentially Betas that he's paying to test, whether or not any of the games he's bought have ended up cracked to insert IAPs and pay-walls after he paid for the game... you know, standard iOS gaming stuff. ;)

DBC

13. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

idk, I think you're selling IOS gaming short. Ok, maybe there's nothing on the level of Morrowind but there are many games that I've played, that I've felt would feel right at home on PSN, XBLA, Steam

Games like Penumbear, Incoboto, Meltdown, Asphalt 8, anything by Foursaken, and others

While freemium aspects are definitely a part of IOS gaming that I've not proud of, I feel that for every dev that tries to nickle-and-dime us with timers and paywalls, we have developers who respect us and release quality premium games

14. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I just think that iOS gaming in general has a future full of F2P hipster games, with only very, very few exceptions each year.

I played all the games on the iOS that I wanted to play, so I'm really bored. I don't know how, but the N-gage popped into my head, and I remembered all the great games I used to play and I need to satisfy my nostalgia :)
    Also, Elder scrolls: Shadowkey was the best mobile game before Ravensword and I'm ashamed that I haven't played it.

There are hundreds of games that can run on the N-gage, so it'll keep me busy for quite while.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #15 psj3809, Nov 9, 2013
    Well I'll be honest I think its crazy! You don't see many other people ditching iOS/android to go this old skool when it comes to hardware. I don't like freemium or runners, angry bird clones which come out weekly

There's such a wide range of games I don't know why you're doing this. Plenty of retro titles and games. if you don't want current modern games which you don't seem ok with just stick to some of the retro classics.

16. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #16 Montanx, Nov 9, 2013
    Say what u want about mobile gaming nowadays but there's plenty of great games, and comparing to an old system like Ngage is silly.

17. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I know it seems crazy, but there were tons of great mobile games before iPhones even existed. Since when are you a mobile gamer, psj?

I went with the n-gage because there are tons of great games that it can run; symbian, java and of course the N-gage exclusives. FYI, I'm really looking forward to get some emulators for the N-gage (NES, SNES, gameboy etc.)

There's a wide range of games on iOS indeed, however there is only a limited number of western non-turn based RPGs, and unfortunately that's my favorite kind of a game...

18. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    U can get all those emulators on ios. I played FInal fantasy 6 and 7 on my ipad in the last few months.

19. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Well I gave 50$ for the N-gage, that equals one month of purchasing games (IAPs) on iOS. So even if it turn out to be a mistake, it won't cost me more than it would if I wouldn't try it, right? I think the N-gage can keep me busy for way more than just one month though.

Also, I always wanted an N-gage, but it costed like 300$ back then and I was 10 years old... If nothing else, atleast I'll satisfy that now.

20. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I have a jailbreak, so naturally I tried many emulators. The experience is pretty awful imho and I think it's the controls' fault (i.e. no physical buttons).